Resolume 7.17 Released | Improved Recording, Copy & Paste Effects & Images, Akai APC Mini MK2 Support, Wire Improvements
This is huge! Recording now has it's own dedicated panel where you can set a lot of new options and where your recorded files will show up. Besides ProRes and DXV you can now also record in h264. This is hardware accelerated and produces small files so you can now record basically as long as you want to. Before you could only record the composition but you can now optionally specify what layer, group or even screen from the advanced output that you want to record. You can specify the length of the recording in seconds or beats, this means you do not have to trim your recordings anymore but you get perfectly looping files. The recording can also be automatically stopped when all playing clips have ended. You can start the recording when the next bar starts or when a clip is triggered. Combine this automatic starting and stopping with the layer auto-pilot and you can do basic video editing in Arena & Avenue! Recorded files are not automatically added to the composition anymore by default but they are added to the recording panel where you can double click them to preview, open in Explorer/Finder or drag them to a clip in your composition.
Copy & Paste Effects
Now you can copy & paste effects not just on clips but also on layers, groups and the composition. This is a huge time saver! You'll find the copy & paste effects options in the clip, layer, group and composition menu.
Copy & Paste Images
In 7.16 we added copying & pasting images to Wire and now it's also available in Arena & Avenue. To copy an image open the radar menu at the bottom of a monitor. Paste an image via the clip menu.
Akai APC Mini MK2 Increased Brightness
The Akai APC Mini MK2 is quickly becoming the new favorite controller for Avenue & Arena but by default the buttons are not very bright. You always had to set it to drum mode to get the maximum brightness from the buttons. We have now fixed this in 7.17, the buttons are always max brightness, no need to set it to a different mode, just plug and play.
Wire got a few new nodes; Distance Node and Replace NaN Node. You can now position the text in the Text Render node. Quickly create a comment shortcut ⌘/CTRL + M. When you have nodes selected this will create the comment around the nodes, if you have no nodes selected it just creates a comment and you can start jotting away. The Insert Pack shortcut (⌘/CTRL + P) can be used to quickly combine two, three or four nodes that output the Float type into a Float2, Float3 or Float4 type. We added an option to select unused nodes so you can quickly clean up your patch. And of course there are various other small improvements and bug fixes.
As always, downloads available here. Or click on Check for updates... in the Arena/Avenue menu and it will self update.
7.17.3 Hot Fix Tue 12 Sept
- #20050 Arena/Avenue crash on start when no audio device available
- #20051 Setting Read Node to attribute crashes on windows
- #20052 PolaGlow JuiceBar Wire effect crashes in 16 bit composition
7.17.2 Hot Fix Fri 8 Sept
- #19029 Select default audio device on clean install
- #19981 Cannot type values or click +/- icons in Wire color picker
- #20014 Resolume appears frozen on clean install on windows
- #20018 MIDI input can be very laggy on 7.17.0
- #20024 Midi feedback only is sent when the value changes
7.17.1 Hot Fix Tue 5 Sept
- #19964 Arena/Avenue does not always connect to audio devices on startup
Arena/Avenue 7.17.0 Fix List
- #6945 Add Fit-Fill-Stretch options to Mask
- #19274 Start shortcut editing with no item selected
- #17731 Pioneer player info doesn't appear in Resolume when using Bridge app to bridge to another network
- #18282 Duplicating top layer in group places new layer outside group
- #19109 Shortcut to trigger and Solo at the same time not always executed correctly
- #19344 Magewell capture card only shows 15FPS options on mac
- #19445 Layer clear mapped to CC or DMX clears layer on any value change
- #19469 Layer Clear button doesn't always flash (when triggering with shortcut)
- #16883 Layer clear triggers on any change in Midi/DMX input
- #19346 Clip params can flash old value with animated to clip position and envelope applied
Wire 7.17.0 Fix List
- #19295 Distance Node
- #19423 "Replace NaN" node
- #19547 Add option to Select Unused nodes
- #19754 Create Comment Shortcut: ⌘/CTRL + M
- #19671 Pack Shortcut ⌘/CTRL+P
- #19010 Make sure a newly refilled Bag doesn't end with the same number it last ended
- #19374 Exposing inputs, should also auto number input nodes
- #19540 Add Randomize for Bool, Trigger and Color
- #19606 Wire Text Rendering Position
- #19851 Text line jumps with unsupported chars
- #19626 Reloading patch from recents no worky
- #19292 Compile on UTF8 windows user no worky Comment »
This blog is about Resolume, VJ-ing and the inspiring things the Resolume users make. Do you have something interesting to show the community?
Send in your work!
- * New footage! ⚫ 🐜 🪅 🚀 ✏️ 🔻
- * Resolume 7.17 Released | Improved Recording, Copy & Paste Effects & Images, Akai APC Mini MK2 Support, Wire Improvements
- * New footage! 🤖⛰️⚡︎
- * Resolume 7.16 Released | Effect Colors 🌈 Improved Text Rendering & Mucho More
- * Resolume 7.15 Released | Layer & Group Folding | Notes Panel | Dilate, Sharpen & Kuwahara Effects | Node Thumbnails 👍
- * New footage! 🚀 📺 🪨
- * Resolume 7.14.0 Released | NDI Improvements, Grid Cloner, Attribute Flow, 2D Meshes, Vulkan 🖖 Alley
- * New footage! 🔮 🎛️ ✏️
- * Resolume 7.13.2 Released | Hotfixes Are Now Free!
- * Resolume 7.13 | Clip Time Remaining, SMPTE Panel, Slice Fader & Scaling, Auto Node Layout Improvements
Unit44 and Reach Visuals joined forces for an experimental ride in Hybrid MashUp. Abstract Landscapes are not so abstract anymore; they are climate disasters. And in the darkness, always look for the FlickIt2.
Hybrid MashUp by Unit44 & Reach Visuals
Abstract Landscape by Catmac
FlickIt2 by Albertus Luki
If you're feeling positive today, you might delight yourself with Celtic Knots & Patterns and meditate about the eternity of life. Artificial Neurology sends us directly to the intersection of artificial intelligence and procedural systems. And Apollo1 is on a mission to colonize the Moon.
Celtic Knots & Patterns by VJ Galaxy
Artificial Neurology by V01X
Apollo1 by SPYKE.
You can now color your effects in Arena & Avenue! This is handy when you have a long list of effects in your compositions. Text rendering is improved in Arena, Avenue & Wire, you can now render text outlines and glows . There are 4 new nodes in Wire; Quantize, Normalize, Element & Video Sampler. You can now copy & paste images in Wire. There are two new shortcuts in Wire: Command+Shift+R to rename a node, and Command+J to quickly join nodes. Furthermore, clicking on an input in the dashboard now selects the node in the patch. Handy!
Just like you color clips, layers, groups and decks you can now color effects to more easily distinguish them from each other. This is especially handy when you use many effects in your compositions. Right-click an effect header to pick a color you fancy. And did you know you can rename an effect too?
Text Rendering Improvements
Not only can you now use fonts and certain styles that did not work before but you can now also render text outlines, inner glow, outer glow, and when you combine these two you get a neon effect. You'll find these new option in the Arena & Avenue Text Block and Text Animator source and effect but also in the Wire Text Render node.
Copy & Paste Images
To quickly bring images into your patch you can now paste them straight into Wire. Just hit Command+v after copying an image from anywhere and it will create an image node with that image for you. And to quickly copy a frame from you patch you can now right-click on a monitor to copy it. We're currently also building this into Arena & Avenue so look out for that in the next release...
The Quantize node quantizes the incoming value or texture. This allows you to quantize the signal into discrete steps. The Normalize node does what it says, it normalizes float values. The Element node retrieves a single element from a type that has multiple elements. For instance to extract a single channel from a Texture2d RGBA or a single element from a Float 2/3/4. Checkout their example patches to see how they work. The Video Sampler node allows you to sample a video file at a specific time using the Phase inlet that takes a value from 0 to 1 to scroll through the video.
To quickly patch multiple nodes with the same main outlet into a Join node simply select them and hit Command+J. Huge time saver! To rename a node without touching the mouse simply press Command+Shift+R to rename a node.
Arena, Avenue & Alley Fix List
- #18530 Scroll to newly created fixture in the library
- #19089 Alley crashes on exit with spout enabled
- #19100 Overlapping text shows tiny outline in Arena Text Block
- #19342 Noise at the start of audio clip switches
- #19363 Frameboy juicebar plugin stopped showing the content with 7.15
Wire Fix List
- #15571 Random node - add boolean and integer type
- #18951 Renderer 2D Add Blend mode
- #19199 Clicking on an input in the dashboard selects the node in the patch
- #19219 Add interpolation attribute to delay
- #19249 Attribute inputs should not allow signal connections
- #19396 Crash Opening the Video Player examples crashes Wire
- #19250 Copy pasting / duplicating multi selection of input nodes mixes up the auto numbering
- #19368 Multi instance rectangle 2d should offer Mesh2D as connect suggestion
- #19062 Undo input node destruction doesn't put them back in the same spot
- #17961 Shader from ISF website can compile with errors in Wire
- #19654 ISF node doesn't support extra render passes Comment »
Lilian Doring's 'Time Capsule' series has its third edition called Burlesque Experiment and it's hot like an overwhelmed processor.
Blending eye-catching aesthetics and top-notch animations, DVizion, or known in the scene as Angelo Isenia, strikes again with BlendZ.
We call NeonX by VibesVJ an essential, but you can actually call it indispensable.
Burlesque Experiment by Lilian Doring
BlendZ by DVizion
NeonX by VibesVJ
Resolume 7.15 Released | Layer & Group Folding | Notes Panel | Dilate, Sharpen & Kuwahara Effects | Node Thumbnails 👍
Version 7.15 introduces Layer & Group folding, which is a huge space saver in large compositions with numerous layers. There are three new effects: Dilate, Sharpen, and Kuwahara (no, we're not referring to the Japanese BMX bikes here). With the new Notes panel in Arena & Avenue, you can quickly jot down text like a to-do list or a DJ lineup. In Wire, you can now enable node thumbnails, making it incredibly easy to see what each node does in your patch, and, it just looks exceptionally stylish. Lastly, you can now also delay signals in Wire, not just textures.
Layer & Group Folding
Almost eight years in the making, we created the first UI Photoshop mockup for layer folding in 2015 for Arena 4, even before it had groups. But we shelved it back then because compositions did not yet contain many layers... fast forward to 2023 and it's not uncommon to see compositions with over 20 layers that just don't fit on a laptop screen anymore. You can now fold a layer to be much smaller, and when you fold a group, it completely hides all containing layers, giving you back a lot of precious screen real estate. Now don't use this as an excuse to add even more layers to your composition! To fold (and unfold) a layer or group, simply double-click on its name or click on the new - and + icons that will appear when you hover over a layer or group name.
In the new notes panel in Arena & Avenue, you can quickly jot down text, like a to-do list while you're preparing a show. Or the DJ lineup for that night. Or an explanation for your coworkers on how the MIDI controller is configured. And so on. You can color the text and make it really big so you can also use it to inform the Front of House that it's time for lunch. You'll find this nifty Notes panel in the View menu.
Dilate, Sharpen & Kuwahara Effects
Kuwahara is a Japanese company that makes BMX bikes used in the original E.T. movie (fun fact!) but it's also a filter originally developed by Michiyoshi Kuwahara in the 70s to denoise medical imagery. Check out this great video by Acerola to learn more about its history and a technical explanation. In Arena, Avenue & Wire, you can use Kuwahara to make your content look like an oil painting and, combined with edge detection, make it look more like a cartoon. The Dilate effect expands or thickens regions of an image, also giving it a cartoony look. You already know what a Sharpen effect does, and we're happy to have it in the Resolume toolbox now as well.
Node & Resource Thumbnails
With node thumbnails, you can quickly see exactly what each node is doing, and it makes your patch look very sexy Right-click a node and you'll see the new thumbnail option in the node menu. Comment »
Four-Twenty is a date worth to be marked in our calendars, so we did that thanks to Versatale.
If it smells like fear and looks like a good time it must be Shade, the latest pack by Ghosteam.
SummerCandy by Ican Agoesdjam is a colourful and fun pack meant to get you into the summer mood.
StonedAlienHighonWeed by VersaTale
Shade by Ghosteam
SummerCandy by Ican Agoesdjam