Tagtool <3 Resolume <3 Neonrost

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Tagtool <3 Resolume <3 Neonrost

Post by Joris »

We're very excited to bring you a guest tutorial on how to use the wonderful Tagtool for iPad as a source in Resolume, using the magic of Syphon.

But before we dive in to the techy goodness, you may be wondering what Tagtool is. I'm glad you asked!

Tagtool is a wonderfully fun application for the iPad, which allows you to unleash your painting skills, and animate and play with the result, all within a simple and intuitive interface. You can even link up multiple iPads via Wifi and draw and play collaboratively. We've had a lot of fun with Tagtool, and we're sure you'll agree.

For more info on Tagtool check out http://www.tagtool.at

Then before I leave you with the tutorial itself, I just wanted to say Tagtool one more time. Tagtool. Now I'm done.

Using Resolume & Tagtool

Workshop at the University of Applied Arts on the 22nd May 2013
Tagtool01.jpg
This tutorial will guide you to the basic steps of how to setup a Tagtool session within Resolume. We use a Macbook Pro – 2.66 GHz – Intel Core 2 Duo – 4GB Ram (DDR3) connected to one projector and one iPad 4 running the latest Tagtool version.

Download the free trial-version of Air Server (4.6.5) to receive the video signal of the iPad. Configure the software settings>Mirroring and change to optimise for “Projector (1024×768)”. It´s important that Laptop and iPad are connected via the same wireless network.
Tagtool02.jpg
On the iPad open the Airplay settings and select the laptop as the streaming device.
Tagtool03.jpg
To finally receive the Tagtool output in Resolume Arena just enable the built-in Syphon module within the Preferences>Video Preferences.
Tagtool04.jpg
Now fire up your iPad and launch the Tagtool app – the laptop is already getting the desktop screen transmitted. Create a new composition according to the size of the syphon stream – 1024×768. In the very right area select the “sources” tab and left-click the syphon source. Render settings and transform settings are correct – so we simply drag&drop this item into the video layer.
Tagtool05.jpg
Tagtool07.jpg
Depending on the WiFi signal strength and the resolution size we had a good performance with 1024×768 – but the laptop was struggling with performance as soon as more video layers or effects were added. The frame rate dropped at 3 layers to 14 fps and we stopped the experiment there.

You will get better performance with project sizes like 640×480, but you will have to crop the video stream of the Tagtool. Anyway! Endless fun ahead!

Tagtool06.jpg
Thanks to the lovely folks at Tagtool and Neonrost for providing this wonderful app and tutorial. Austria VJ maffia!

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Tagtool <3 Resolume <3 Neonrost

Post by He2neg »

So Tagtool is free now and i want to let it in my Setup....

Did anyone allready managed to get it inside resolume (on Windows) wireless?
So... without a Av Adapter & a Capture Card....

i will start testing and playing around soon and will post my results here but maybe someone allready did it and want to help me with a shortcut ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Tagtool <3 Resolume <3 Neonrost

Post by He2neg »

OKay, it was way more easy then i thought....

The Tagtool Devs have a beta called "tagtool player" this you can open on your System and create a session.... Now join the session with the client (ipad).

~The tagtool player is allways jumping into fullscreen mode (bit anoying but i can live with that..) Holding cmd / contr while starting give you some acces to some settings~

Now comes the good old NDI Scan converter to grab the "Unit secondary Display" of the tagtool player and voilá we have a tagtool output inside the Resolume source panel as NDI stream...

100% free and i love free stuff...

Few addings:
when you leave the tagtool app youll need to rejoin the session, but everything will keep running.
Free Limit i found:
- only 10 saved paintings for copy & past
Pro Version cost 9,99€
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~