Winning entry diesel-u-music VJ award

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
bart
Team Resolume

Winning entry diesel-u-music VJ award

Post by bart »

Checkout the winning entry from the diesel-u-music VJ award 2005 by Inside-us-all.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I personally think this sucks - do u not get credit for making your own material anymore ?
Anyone can take a film and re-edit it to music. Creating brilliant content yourself takes real creativity, skill and imagination....
And that seems to be underated in vjing for some reason
: (

VJzoo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJzoo »

thats some awsome vjing from Inside-us-all :D

continuity-B

Post by continuity-B »

Far too much familiar (metropolis) material IMO sorry

pifco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by pifco »

couldn't agree more.

There's no glory in cutting up other people's films.

Also I feel this is more like a music video than an example of VJing.

Just my humble opinion is all.

piffy

mfo

Post by mfo »

Good cutting-work, but no inspiring new ideas in that.
most of the material is simply stolen.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dint see the video and I consider VJing an art form as Im sure you all do. I just thought this subject should be cleared up. It is not cool to use other peoples material unless it freely given or open source. VJing will be a respected artform if you do this.
Otherwise we all suffer and carry the stigma of being "un-original". Further even
if we do create something original, it will not be accepted as an artform because of
the stigma we ourselves have already created by "borrowing" or "using" other
peoples material.

Vjing is not just focused on mixing. Some of us use midi to controll video some like myself program and some of us mix video to a rythm nothing is wrong with any of this but taking someones material hurts all of us. It may get you temporary fame and some cash here and there but you will not be considerd a true video artist
using other peoples material. Because there are so many vjs that do this, our subculture has a stigma. Please help change that, as an artist. Create your own
content. Use open source stuff to begin with, use flash, use winamp visualizers,
use your home video camera, use stop motion, explore any and all other possibilty that will help you grow as an video artist, an artist, a video artist, what a vj really is.

Ask yourself this question, I dint get permission to use it, what makes it mine?

Im sorry to say so much but I want to see this artform grow here in the US and
not have the stigma it currently does have. I though I should make you aware
of that. Think of it this way, if your is original you can sell it. You can display it
publicly with no shame or need to worry about copyright issues what so ever.
One of the greatest beautys of art is that we create something from nothing or
scratch. Show the world your creativity and originality, so we can all aspire to
be like you. Everyone of us is responsible in the direction of this artform. Please
aspire to original. IF your hearing messages like this more often than not your
learning what it is to be a real artist/vj.

VJS

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

word.

you're so exactly right man!

Dave
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Dave »

Hello all :)

ok so here we go with another debate on whether sampling is a valid form of VJ'ing. I've heard this once or twice too many times, but seeing as this discussion is about a piece of my work which got some widespread attention I feel obliged to interact...

We [inside-us-all] have been VJ'ing for around 5 years, and a very large portion of the content we produce is from origional footage we shoot/create ourselves. Occasionally tho there is good cause to delve into other production techniques, such as in this example -sampling.

Metropolis was made back in the 20's, and the point fritz lang was making about where our society is heading is a point I/we feel very strongly about. So I chose to take samples from that film and juxtapose them with footage we created of how society really is at the turn of the millenium. This comparison was illustrated through the medium of VJ'ing as a means to attempt to get a message to the viewer.. is this not art?

OK so there was some sampled footage in there, but I see no other way of making the point I wanted to make - this is my artistic justification for the choice I made to use sampled footage in this submission.

Now for the commercial justification of my decision to sample, We had entered the diesel-u-music competition in the previous 2 years and short listed, both pieces were 100% origional footage. This year we decided would be the last attempt at winning the diesel award, as we were less and less appropriate candidates for entry as our business becomes less & less newcomers to the scene. So we made the decision that this year we were going to win it. So we looked at who was judging the competition this year [Addictive TV] and decided that as their current shows feature a large portion of sampled footage [the italian job remix, Bond remix etc etc..] it would be a good idea to submit something that was sample based.

At the end of all this discussion I think the most important consideration for any VJ should be the audience, after all they are the ones who ultimately dictate the market and pay your bills. From my experience over the last few years the audience doesn't give a flying fuck whether the VJ has got his footage from his own library or anybody elses, all they care about is the show. So when we feel its artistically justifiable or commercially appropriate we will sample footage.

just a footnote that the only reason we make 'commercially appropriate' decisions is because we want to get our artwork and the positive messages we work so hard creating out to as many people as possible, and ultimately fund projects that help as many people in as many walks of life as possible. for more details visit http://www.inside-us-all.com

Dave :)

bart
Team Resolume

Sampling can be art!

Post by bart »

i was just talking to dave over MSN about this and i think it is important to distinct two different kinds of sampling used by vjs. First there are the newbies who sample because it is an easy thing to do AND then there are vjs who actually put samples into a new context to give it new meaning and are thus using sampling to create art.

So do not simply write off sampling as stealing, there is sampling and there is sampling. as long as it is done for the right reasons and to create something new it can be art.

Hextatics Timber is a great example of sample based art:
http://www.ninjatune.net/videos/video.php?type=qt&id=10

[Edited on 17-10-2005 by bart]