Resolume Avenue 3 is coming!

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
Ep Woody
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Resolume Avenue 3 is coming!

Post by Ep Woody »

Great to hear about the comming update! It looks like a revolution!

How does R3 work as a mediaserver? The combination of a VJing and Mediaserver is just an awesome option :) Of course with DMX and if CITP/MSEX is an option in the near future it would be wonderfull :D (Heared MSEX isn't to hard to implement according to developers of Chamsys.)

DrMazoola
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by DrMazoola »

I have mixed emotions -- well, pretty much about everything in life, but certainly about this first glance at R3. Of course, I'm also one of those with no interest in the audio features, so that eliminates a lot of the excitement potential.

The core technology modifications all look great. Higher-res output is a win, even if it means having to resample and reencode my entire source library and, most likely, replacing my projectors. GPU-based processing, the preview monitor, 3D compositing, and (to a lesser extent) video mapping are all great adds.

Unfortunately, it appears true multi-screen output -- as opposed to split-screen output -- may be a thing of the past. (From the description I take it multiscreen is handled by defining an output resolution of, say, 1920 x 480 and mapping a third of the screen to three different adaptors, instead of the current method of associating layers with outputs.) I also fear all the new audio-generating capabilities will have shoved audio-analysis to the back-burner; I was hoping for an improved FFT-trigger plus, if possible, something akin to Alex May's (BigFug) AudioBox app.

But what Resolume still seems to lack is a roster of interesting, well-paying gigs. Maybe you should think about this as an optional add-on. ;)

Maz

aroestenburg

Post by aroestenburg »

MAC ahhhh finally no more BOOTCAMP! =)

wicked work.

adam.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

DrMazoola wrote:I have mixed emotions -- well, pretty much about everything in life, but certainly about this first glance at R3. Of course, I'm also one of those with no interest in the audio features, so that eliminates a lot of the excitement potential.
Yes we totally understand, the teaser video mainly shows audiovisual features because they are the most WOW ;-)

However all features work just as well on just video, for example the cue points and beatloopr shown in the video work great when there is no audio.
DrMazoola wrote: (From the description I take it multiscreen is handled by defining an output resolution of, say, 1920 x 480 and mapping a third of the screen to three different adaptors, instead of the current method of associating layers with outputs.)
Indeed, working with multi-screen is a bit different as you now work with large composition and then split this up to different outputs. But because you can now composite the layers you can simply route each layer to a different part of the composition and thus to a different output. So it is still very easy to route layers to outputs but you also have the added possibility to change the entire compisition (read: all different outputs) with on click of a button.

DrMazoola wrote:But what Resolume still seems to lack is a roster of interesting, well-paying gigs. Maybe you should think about this as an optional add-on. ;)
Yeah we would have to invent a whole new plugin system for this ;-)

catastrophe

Post by catastrophe »

Can wait to try it! Just getting my feet wet with 2.4 and Behold 3 is right around the corner! Looks like a lot of great features. Won't be using audio that much but glad the option is there!!!!

nkazoura

Post by nkazoura »

thanks for the great work.

Regarding the new Fader, it looks like there is one fader controlling selected layers A and B. Will this limit the blending to only two layers or will there still be individual layer fading like in version 2?

you guys should team up with ableton and take over the world.

incuf
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by incuf »

I would love to see a video where you show all the menues, so we can see what are the options in each. Or even better the user manual!!! That would be great so the day I download it I already know how to use it. And would be a great anxiety killer!!

cheers

Incuf

corunography
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by corunography »

Wow, this seems like a revolutionary release!

I was curious: Currently all of my decks are organized with 20 clips. It has been very convienant with the large selection of clips to choose from. Though in the preview vid, there are only 9 columns. I have a laptop with a 1920x1200 display. Will I have have the option of 20 clips on the same layer with that resolution? I tend to use layer 1 for the consistantly changing material, layer 2 for overlay animations, and layer 3 for the venues logo.

I am very pleased to have the audio support! This will be GREAT! Looking forward to checking it out!

Jon
www.avclubvisuals.com
www.myspace.com/flexmix

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

I was curious: Currently all of my decks are organized with 20 clips. It has been very convienant with the large selection of clips to choose from. Though in the preview vid, there are only 9 columns. I have a laptop with a 1920x1200 display. Will I have have the option of 20 clips on the same layer with that resolution?
Yes you can use as many clips in a deck and on any layer you like, it,s not limited to 20 anymore because it scales to the size if your monitor and can scroll to the right.
I tend to use layer 1 for the consistantly changing material, layer 2 for overlay animations, and layer 3 for the venues logo.
If you like you can even use more than 3 layers because this is flexible too.
I am very pleased to have the audio support! This will be GREAT! Looking forward to checking it out!
Thank you, we,re glad you like it ;-) We're working hard towards a release in September so you can try it yourself.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

nkazoura wrote:thanks for the great work.

Regarding the new Fader, it looks like there is one fader controlling selected layers A and B. Will this limit the blending to only two layers or will there still be individual layer fading like in version 2?

you guys should team up with ableton and take over the world.
If I am not mistaken, the cross-fader works a bit like Ableton: you can assign layers to either bus A or B, and all the layers on a given bus would be composited together.

ie say you put layers 1-3 on bus A and layers 4-6 on bus B. Layers 1-3 are all composited together, just as in Resolume 2, and layers 4-6 are also composited together. You can change the opacity and compositing modes of each layer. Then you can use the cross-fader to switch between scene A (layers 1-3) and scene B (layers 4-6).

This would give you the ability to play a "scene" composed of multiple layers, while building another scene, which you can preview, but which is not shown to the audience. When it's ready, use the cross-fader to reveal it, and build another scene on the bus which is no longer being projected.

It sounds ideal - I currently do this by treating layer 1 as one "scene" and layer 2 as another "scene", manipulating the individual opacities to get smooth switching.