VJ & Projection Mapping Workshop on March 18, SAE Amsterdam

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
bart
Team Resolume

VJ & Projection Mapping Workshop on March 18, SAE Amsterdam

Post by bart »

It's that time of year again! Resolume and SAE Institute Amsterdam are offering a free VJ workshop, this time on the art and science of projection mapping!

If you haven't heard of this phenomenon before, it's a relatively new form of visual art. Instead of projecting on a flat rectangular screen, you project your images on a specific surface, ranging from custom made objects, to whole life size buildings. For some cool videos of mapping in action check out these clips:

Exyzt setup for Etienne de Crecy

Classic AntiVJ show in Bruxelles

Augmented Sculpture

For the workshop we'll be showing you the different tools and techniques used in projection mapping. For software we'll be focussing on the latest version of Resolume Avenue, which has some powerful features built-in, for easily mapping a surface.

We often hear the term workshop being thrown around, when it's actually just a lecture, but this one is actually all about doing things. We have plenty of beamers and computers (but feel free to bring your own), and after a short introduction, it's going to be all you, baby! Making objects or mapping out surfaces, it's going to be you at the controls.

So sign up now by sending an email to vjcourse@sae.nl! It's free, so what have you got to lose?

18th of March, 19:00-22:00
SAE Institute Amsterdam
Johan van Hasseltweg 31
1021KN Amsterdam

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: VJ & Projection Mapping Workshop on March 18, SAE Amsterdam

Post by francoe »

The powerfull features built-in, you mean a mask and a keytoning plug, are great but a bit limitated .
Sometimes we need to jump to vvvv, or VPT for real mapping.
A pre/post mask switch, or an extra level in the chain (Comp/Layers-Clips can be Comp/Layer/Clips) are basic features if you want to make video mapping without pre-render all your footage.
If there's any to-do list, take note!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey Francoe

Thanks for your suggestion. As you may have read elsewhere on the forum, there are a few things related to the overall clip/layer/composition rendering pipeline that we're looking into at the moment. This includes the way translations are handled, and whether they are pre or post mask and/or effect.

Joris

Rene

Post by Rene »

Would love to see a video cast of this workshop as Amsterdam is not just around the corner - at least not for me ;-)

francoe

Post by francoe »

Oh Joris, are you dealing with that? Great!
I didn't read about that, was just a suggestion.
(I will look better in the forum to undestand it, I promess :D ).

francoe

Post by francoe »

Hey guys, Im sending the resolume2 output through the textmachine mapping module in my old laptop.
So I thinking, how can we make that kind of warp mesh in avenue?
Can we make it writing a freeframe plug?
Or are we limitated to control the multipoint mesh with sliders?