Introducing Resolume 4 Avenue & Arena

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
GuruMeditation
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Introducing Resolume 4 Avenue & Arena

Post by GuruMeditation »

olivepixel wrote:Quick (and probably fairly redundant) question! You say that all Blackmagic cards are supported; does this mean that I could get an Intensity Shuttle (the little USB 3.0 box they do) and use it to feed a camera (or any HDMI source) into Resolume? Would there be limitations on resolution or would that depend entirely on the computer?

Looking forward to the new release!
This works in Res 3, I use it for 3 month now without any problem (exepted the maximum resolution : 1080i, 1080p does not works)
But be careful if you plan to buy a laptop with USB 3.0, the Intensity Shuttle is not compatible with most of usb 3 laptop at this time. You can check the compatibility on the blackmagic website.

olivepixel

Post by olivepixel »

GuruMeditation wrote: But be careful if you plan to buy a laptop with USB 3.0, the Intensity Shuttle is not compatible with most of usb 3 laptop at this time. You can check the compatibility on the blackmagic website.
Ouch. I foresee many hours of frantic and confusing googling, violating me with knowledge that will only last an evening. On the face of things it looks like my laptop will be ok because it uses the ‘NEC USB 3.0 chip’ but I worry that there might be far more to it than that…

Thanks for the warning; it wouldn’t have even occurred to me to check!

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

GuruMeditation wrote: This works in Res 3, I use it for 3 month now without any problem (exepted the maximum resolution : 1080i, 1080p does not works)
But be careful if you plan to buy a laptop with USB 3.0, the Intensity Shuttle is not compatible with most of usb 3 laptop at this time. You can check the compatibility on the blackmagic website.
sure? i had problems in windows with my aver media hd grabber...
he just gets 1080i if your project is also set to this resolution at the beginning ;)
maybe this helps getting it working, why should it not work in full hd?
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation »

HerrNieDa wrote: sure? i had problems in windows with my aver media hd grabber...
he just gets 1080i if your project is also set to this resolution at the beginning ;)
My resolume project is 1920x1080, my computer output 1920x1080. I can only grab the hdmi source source when its output is on 1080i (camera or computer), no signal with 1080p, tried all Intensity mode without any result.

Also, to come back on-topic, why no record (not the record button we all know, but a way to record the show) function on resolume 4 ???

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

GuruMeditation wrote:
HerrNieDa wrote: sure? i had problems in windows with my aver media hd grabber...
My resolume project is 1920x1080, my computer output 1920x1080. I can only grab the hdmi source source when its output is on 1080i (camera or computer), no signal with 1080p, tried all Intensity mode without any result.

Also, to come back on-topic, why no record (not the record button we all know, but a way to record the show) function on resolume 4 ???
okay, 1080p also won't work here, althought my card isn't supporting it!

with record function you mean something like a "makro-recording" (i guess via xml !?)
arkaos vj could do this, but there was also a render engine built in to render the recorded project, i think this is the bigger problem!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've actually done some work in this area, and have a pretty good idea on how it *should* be implemented. It's nowhere near that state yet ,though. So we opted to leave it out entirely, instead of giving you a feature that only does a part of what you'd like it to do.

Joris

Babcom

Post by Babcom »

Im quite new to resolume but thinking about to buy the new Resolume Arena, to control a show im in. I have quite a few questions before i buy thou:

-Is it possible to prerender video before you show the clip? (As in qlab or similar programs)
-How many output sources can i have? (Can i have 3 BMD intensity pro and three different screens and cameras from one computer)
-How many layers can I work with at the same time?
-Witch codecs can I work with? (Can resolume handle a 4k or HD video with the file size 4gb and mix different codecs)
-How much latency is there between a live cam/video and the projected image? (I will work with 3 live cameras with different effects on)
-Does chroma key effect work in realtime? (And how much latency id there)
-Can resolume send and receive MIDI DMX OSC RS232?
-At what frame rate does all of this work at? (Or does the frame rate drop with heavy file media or effects)

I will probably buy my self a New Mac Pro when it comes out on the market and pump it up with a lot of ram, STD hard drives, to make the program run optimal...
I'd love to have this program as my media hub, so i hope to get some answers :)

Best . Babcom

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

GuruMeditation wrote: Also, to come back on-topic, why no record (not the record button we all know, but a way to record the show) function on resolume 4 ???
Couldn't you use the new Midi feedback function to record out to a midi time line program all the changes that you make in Resolume? This could then be used to trigger Resolume at a later date and record the output to disk?

Not sure if that is what you are trying to achieve.

Tim

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Babcom wrote:-Is it possible to prerender video before you show the clip? (As in qlab or similar programs)
I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with either Qlab or the term prerender, but you can preview any content and effects applied to it before sending it to the main mix.
Babcom wrote:-How many output sources can i have? (Can i have 3 BMD intensity pro and three different screens and cameras from one computer)
We've had reports of users having up to 11 screens from a single computer. Note that at this time, BMD Intensity's are not recognized as OUTput cards for Resolume, only as capture devices. For three screens, we recommend the Matrox TripleHead2Go box.
Babcom wrote:-How many layers can I work with at the same time?
There is no limit to the amount of layers you can create. How many you'll be able to run smoothly depends on the resolution and codec of your content and how beefy your system is. We're able to run 6 1080p layers at a stable 60fps on some of our setups.
Babcom wrote:-Witch codecs can I work with? (Can resolume handle a 4k or HD video with the file size 4gb and mix different codecs)
Resolume supports a variety of Quicktime and AVI codecs. For best performance, especially at the resolutions you're talking about, we recommend rendering everything with our own DXV codec.
Babcom wrote:-How much latency is there between a live cam/video and the projected image? (I will work with 3 live cameras with different effects on)
There are too many variables involved in this too answer this with any certainty. When you work with BMD devices, the latency is minimal (matter of milliseconds), but additional elements in the signal flow (mixers, scalers, cable runs) can introduce latency as well
Babcom wrote:-Does chroma key effect work in realtime? (And how much latency id there)
Yes, it's realtime, so no latency.
Babcom wrote:-Can resolume send and receive MIDI DMX OSC RS232?
Resolume 4 can send and receive MIDI and OSC, it can receive DMX, and it doesn't understand RS232.
Babcom wrote:-At what frame rate does all of this work at? (Or does the frame rate drop with heavy file media or effects)
Again, there are too many variables involved to answer this with any certainty, but as mentioned above, with the correct setup, 6 layers of 1080p at 60fps is possible.

BTW, a lot of the things you're asking about can also be achieved in Resolume 3, so you can download the demo of that already and see for yourself.

Joris

PS, SSD drives are great, but I wouldn't let an STD drive pump my system, at least not without protection ;-) (sorry couldn't resist that one)

Babcom

Post by Babcom »

Thanx for the quick answer! Getting closer to the buy button... some questions still thou.
goto10 wrote:I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with either Qlab or the term prerender, but you can preview any content and effects applied to it before sending it to the main mix.
Qlab prerenders the files in the ram so that the video can play in exact sync with for example a audio track. If the file is big i have experienced some small latency in the starts. We sync Ableton tracks with video and it needs to be in prefect sync a whole show thru. (Ill probably use your codec to make it work smoother in resolume but im worried about the starting time of the videos)
goto10 wrote: We've had reports of users having up to 11 screens from a single computer. Note that at this time, BMD Intensity's are not recognized as OUTput cards for Resolume, only as capture devices. For three screens, we recommend the Matrox TripleHead2Go box.
Having 11 screens running with 11 different clips or just 1 clip and 10 copies? Ill need 3-5 outputs with different clips/cameras. How many inputs can i work with?
goto10 wrote:There is no limit to the amount of layers you can create. How many you'll be able to run smoothly depends on the resolution and codec of your content and how beefy your system is. We're able to run 6 1080p layers at a stable 60fps on some of our setups.
Same question here. Can i run 6 1080p layers on 3-5 outputs with different clips or just 6 layers in total at 60fps? And is that just clean video without effects?
goto10 wrote: There are too many variables involved in this too answer this with any certainty. When you work with BMD devices, the latency is minimal (matter of milliseconds), but additional elements in the signal flow (mixers, scalers, cable runs) can introduce latency as well
Here is example of how i will set it up:
HDMI Camera in -> Cable -> BMD capture -> Resolume -> Chroma Key (or other effects)-> Cable -> Projektor

1-5 milliseconds wont really matter to me but more latency will not be good enough for the show. (6 milliseconds is what you start to feel as a un synced video as an audience, from what i know)

All the best then and talk to you soon. Best . Babcom

ps. The STD drives is the next big thing in VJ/Video scene ;)