Resolume crashes after a period operating

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Bang Boom Ben
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Resolume crashes after a period operating

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

Hello everybody,
I'm really frustrated. When you go through my history of posts you might see that I have a lot of problems regarding crashes with RES4ARENA. Meanwhile I gave it up to hope that Resolume doesn't crash any more - no matter what I do. I mentioned in sometime before that I think that Resolume has a problem with memory management. I obeserved: the longer I play with Resolume4 the higher the chance it crashes. In detail those are indicators that show me that Resolume is lacking something and is probably stuck in some bottleneck:

[1] Switching through Decks getting slower the longer I operate with Resolume since a fresh start,
[2] Generally Flash Videos: I'm having a lot of small Flash Videoloops. Switching Decks or loading running multiple Flash clips on different layers may increase chance that Res crashes.
[3] Recording Time drops almost to zero when operating longer.
[4] Previewing bigger sized clips or (again) SWF Clips after some time of operating causes randomly crashes.
[5] Pictures are loaded only as WHITE SOLID layers in preview and also in Composition. They are not displayed properly anymore. Usually an indicator that I have 2 or 3 more loading chances than Resolume crashes.

My Hardware Specs:
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
NVIDIA 2000M (I don't use the hybrid function)
8 Gig of Ram (Had the Hardware checked recently - everything's fine - no MEMORY errors)
Loading Clips from a SSD Drive

Some whining: The only unstable program - and that's the most stable program I would need - is Resolume. It crashes randomly 3 till 4 times during a performance!! The only fact that I still use it is that we are playing in a team with a HD mixer and whenever it crashes I switch on the other screen - my mates using Modul8 - they are prepared now that Resolume is the live performance killer and just smile when it happens again.

Ok, does anyone experiencing similar problems? Hopefully there will be answers very soon or an update ;)

Ben
b

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Resolume crashes after a period operating

Post by cvanhoose »

Dude, I am sorry to hear of your issues. I am on the mac side with a 100% crash free show stat. I do not use flash files. Lots of Quartz Comps and Syphon inputs at 3840+ px. I am quite pleased.
I was looking into the PC side of the software recently, I needed more graphics power.
In the long run I decided to go with a macbookPro retina 16GBram, 650m Nvidia, i7's. Beast......
Have you tried a different hardware config? (another machine)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This sounds like a memory issue. Could you check your memory usage during operation?

Bang Boom Ben

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

OKAY, let's see. Here I have an example that I just discovered randomly:
1) In the attachment I added some typical SWF files I use. They have 60FPS and a stage-size of 2048*768.
2) Unzip them and load every clip in a layer at the same time. 4 clips, 4 layers. My Composition size was set to 2400*600 (Triplehead).
3) In my case, the interface of Resolume slows down too almost zero (means I have a massive delay, when I click a button it reacts almost 10sec later) but FPS stays stable (!) at 50-60FPS. Memory Usage: 33% and CPU Usage: 24%. There should be enough Power to handle all that but Resolume stocks.

In this config I let the computer now run for some time. Let's see what happens. By the way I can use every other application in the same time without any problem - only Resolumes Interface lacks.

Hope that could give u some information?
Best,
Ben
Attachments
FLASH.zip
4 SWF Files
(69.18 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
b

Bang Boom Ben

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

Yes, it hang up. Video still working by the way - just the interface stopped working - I needed to terminate the process manually. Seems to be another problem parallel?
b

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Which version of Resolume are you running?

Bang Boom Ben

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

I can try the newest Version as well.
b

Joris

Post by Joris »

Well, after looking at your content, why do you need to keep this in a Flash format? Especially at such high resolutions, Flash is far from an optimized display method. Why not simply render this to .mov?

Bang Boom Ben

Post by Bang Boom Ben »

That's a good question. I used SWF because of the filesize - also I imagined that scaling an swf clip is better quality and I had the feeling that grpahix render in better quality and look sharper - imagination? :o
b