How to exclude a layer from the composition?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Dewb
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

How to exclude a layer from the composition?

Post by Dewb »

Hey all, I'm using the Advanced Output mapping for the first time, and I'm butting my head against something.

I have some slices assigned to Layer 1 only, and I have other slices assigned to Composition. I would prefer that the Layer 1 content NOT also appear in the composition output. I'm imagining something like setting a channel to "Sends Only" in Ableton.

Is there an easy way to do that in 4.1? Or do I need to black out that layer with a clip in another layer to keep it out of the composition?

Thanks!

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: How to exclude a layer from the composition?

Post by HerrNieDa »

i think you should use a bigger composition..
for example you have 1024x768 output, use a composition that is 2048x768 (maybe you can get along with less resolution if your slices don't need this...)
then place all layers for the composition on the left side (x-position -512) and the layer 1 to x-position +512...

now you can arrange the slices

the only problem is that the mixing of slices and the composition may won't work, maybe set layer1 to the upperst layer or group composition and "slice-layer" to a and b!?
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

Dewb
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Dewb »

Thanks! I increased the composition size, shifted the "excluded" layer over, then made it the uppermost layer, and that accomplished what I was after.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Here is how I use layers as input source without affecting my composition:
1) I create a mask layer where all the clips are a "FFGL Source - Solid Color" with compositing mode to "Add", Opacity (V Slider) at 100% and Brightness parameter at 0% to create a black slide
2) All the layers I'll want to use as input source, I place below my mask layer so that they don't show in the overall composition.
3) If you want to use any of the input source layers in your composition, you can use the Sources:Routing:Layer Router in a different layer.

If you don't use the crossfader A/B, another quick way to do it is to put set the cross fader to A for your composition, and change all the input layers to bus B. Note that you don't even need to change the composition layers to bus A for this to work.

Let me know if any of this is not clear.

Happy holidays :-)
Frederic