Mask adjustments?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jroth
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Mask adjustments?

Post by jroth »

Hi.

So I've been reading and trying to figure this out. Please let me know if it is possible.

Once a mask (png) is applied to a layer, can it be adjusted (scale, x/y) independent of the clips on the layer? I've seen the post related to dragging the mask under the transform in the layer window viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4580&p=37995&hilit=mask#p37995

That seems to work fine for adjusting a clip underneath the mask, but what if the mask needs independent adjustment? Once the mask is under the transform, is there no longer a way to transform it?

My quandary is basically this. I have a single projector and two separate layers that need projecting on to two separately masked objects. The objects are too complex to mask in the advanced output (non-geometrical) so I take a photo of the stage and draw my own mask for each layer in photoshop. This is a touring show (PJ positions will vary), so day to day i need to take a new photo, draw a new mask, and apply it to my layers. Once it is in resolume, I would like to be able to do simple transform adjustments to line up / scale each mask properly. I don't want any of the layers to scale with the masks.

Sidenote: The implementation of this concept in Arkaos Mediamaster Pro (Video Mapper) is to allow in the output window an image file to be imported as the "mask". The mask can then be stretched and scaled accordingly without effecting any layer programming. Resolume seems to have a similarly robust output routing but (as far as I can tell) doesn't have a way to deal with complex / non-geometric masks / crops.

Any help?

Thanks!

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Mask adjustments?

Post by Rene »

Hi jroth,

Scaling/rotating/moving the mask of a layer (pseudo) independent of the clip can be achieved :) But, it's a dirty work-around...

What I do when I want to scale a mask (png):
  • put the mask to the layer (drag'n'drop)
  • add FrTransform FFGL effect to the same layer (downlaod from here)
  • order (top -> down) Transform, Mask, Video Effects (FrTransform)
    mask_scale.png
    mask_scale.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
  • start with FrTransform to adjust your mask (just ignore that you also move/scale) you original clip
  • once your mask is in the correct position, goto Transform (before the mask) and fix the clip parameters (I use a testcard picture for best results)
Hope this will do the trick for you.

best,
Rene

jroth
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by jroth »

Rene,

Brilliant! That will do just fine.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Rene

Post by Rene »

I'm happy to hear that it works for you! :)

suvani
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by suvani »

The Transform panel with the 3 white lines on the right, to drag the tabs, doesn't appear on my workspace. Attaching pictures. can someone tell me what the problem is so that i could use this method?
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 9732 times

Rene

Post by Rene »

Do you run the latest version of Resolume (4.1.3)?

suvani

Post by suvani »

No i am running 3.3.1. Is this possible only on the latest??

Rene

Post by Rene »

Good question, I don't know when this feature was introduced, however you could try to upgrade at least to 3.3.3.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Changing the stacking order of masks, effects and transformations was introduced in Resolume 4. As far as I recall there was no workaround for this on Resolume 3.

suvani

Post by suvani »

All right. I see now! :D Also is output transformation only available on Arena 4 and not available on Avenue 4?!!!