QC FX workaround

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gavspav
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

QC FX workaround

Post by gavspav »

Aha so you can make quartz fx compositions and drop a syphon client in the quartz composition to feed them.

Then drop the composition in a clip in resolume and pipe your footage into it via a syphon server to apply the effect.

I guess you could run QC standalone if you preferred but this way you get the interface all in one place.

gavspav

Re: QC FX workaround

Post by gavspav »

I made this little clip in case no-one knew what I was on about. Its kind of obvious anyway.

Resolution is too low to see clearly, sorry, so you'll have to use your imaginaton

mt250a
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by mt250a »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I made an account just to bump this thread in case others were having a similar problem. I was having such a hard time with my QC compositions not sending anything to the output of Resolume. It turns out all the compositions that didn't work in Resolume were based off of a video being played with the composition and then filtered/edited/etc.

I re-wrote all of those using your method: play base video in Resolume on one layer, Syphon this video to the QC composition and use a Syphon client in the QC composition instead of a movie player, run QC composition on a separate layer. Works perfectly now.

You're a genius!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I wondered when somebody was going to pick up on this thread ;)

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

Ok, I was able to get this working following the instructions in the video. Thanks OP

However when I downloaded Syphon for FreeFrame, Public Beta 2, The readme file says "WARNING: Resolume Avenue loads these plugins in a way which causes Resolume to crash if you have more than one server or client plugin loaded. This is a problem for any FreeFrame plugin which loads Objective-C code in Resolume, and not just Syphon. We caution against using them in Resolume until an update addresses this problem."

Has this issue been fixed yet? I'm too lazy to try using two Quartz composer plugins to see if Resolume will crash.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

You know what. I wrote an answer here, but I was too lazy to press submit.

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

goto10 wrote:You know what. I wrote an answer here, but I was too lazy to press submit.
Aw man seriously? I was really hoping for an answer like "This has been fixed or has not been fixed". I can see why the read me file of Syphon would be outdated since vade seldom uses Resolume (He probably only uses it for testing Syphon).

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

I have been trying out this method for the second time today and getting lots of app and system crashes.
I'm running Arena 4.1.4, OS 10.8.3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
I'm using FreeFrame GL 2.0 in /resolume/plugins/vfx
Syphon Public Beta 2.0 plugin for qtz

I'm syphoning movie clips from layer 1 into a qtz composition on layer three. When I switch clips on layer one I get crashes.
It works reliably directly into qtz app, it's seemingly on the return into Arena where the problem occurs.

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

But now a few restarts later it all seems to be running smoothly :/

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

I wanna use this method to do v002 and bangnoise plugins but absolutely cannot have the program crash. I don't have a Mac computer with me to really thoroughly test it out right now. Does anybody know if this is stable while switching decks? Reason I ask is because I when I was using OS X Mountain Lion running Resolume version 4.1.3/4.1.4 on (Whatever was the latest version that was available in January 2013 with the Dot Screen effect) and I was trying to use some iPod touches and iPhones running Airbeam with Syphon and Resolume crashed randomly when switching decks, I think the program also crashed when the iPhone or iPod touch ran out of battery life and lost connection with the Macbook Pro. Anyway was the crashing because of the instability of Syphon or was it due to something in Resolume that has since been fixed? The post below is from February of 2012, does anybody know if Syphon is more stable in Resolume then it was then?
edwin wrote:The Syphon FFGL plugins aren't really stable. This has to do with the nature of FFGL and it not mixing very well withe the Objective-c language. Please check if the stability improves if you don't have the Syphone output running.