output to black and rescale issues using OSC

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Bit
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

output to black and rescale issues using OSC

Post by Bit »

Hi

We are performing some tests to see if Resolume Arena 4 fits our needs before we buy the licence.

Here is our setup:

Retina Macbook Pro > 2 outputs to a video mixer as we need to alternate or combine the resolute output with live video on 2 main screens
This is setup as the master using OSC.

Mac Pro > 4 outputs (might be more in the future) to feed screens on stage.
This is setup as the slave using OSC.

The idea is to be able to spread one big clip across all screens, taking the gaps into account, or show the same output on all screens (and changing between theses settings)

The good news is that we've got it all working, the mapping, the outputs, the OSC steering, …

So far so good, but after a few tests we've encountered the following issues:
1. When changing a clip on the master, the clip changes on the slave as well, so that is good. But after a few changes, the output on the slave goes black (even in the output monitor of the control panel). The only way to get it back is to disable the OSC, reboot Resolume Arena 4 and reset all OSC settings. This if not something we would like to do during an event.
2. When setting the composition size quite big to be able to spread one clip across all the screens and keep the ratio's, we have to rescale the clips to fit the new size. This can be easily done by choosing 'scale to fit composition' in the clip settings. We save everything and it runs fine, but when we change the clip on the master, the clip changes on the slave as well, but without the rescale we performed earlier.

Does anyone else encountered these issues and found a solution? It is critical for us that this can be solved otherwise we'll need to find other solutions.

thanks a lot for your feedback.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: output to black and rescale issues using OSC

Post by Joris »

The cut to black problem is a known issue.

At the moment we don't know what's causing it and it's best to consider master/slave setups like this to be broken. We'll re-examine it in the future but a short term fix is unlikely.

In the meantime it's probably easiest to cobble together a simple OSC master application, which sends the necessary commands to both instances. This would also solve your scaling issue.

Bit

Post by Bit »

Hi

thanks for the quick response.
Do you have an example of how to create this application? I have no idea how to do this.

thanks

kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by kmifflin »

Bit

Post by Bit »

so if I understand it correctly, this would be the master and both the macbook pro and the mac pro would be the slaves?

And in you experience this would solve the black screen issue?

Do you have any idea about the rescaling? Should we create clips that are in the correct resolution so then don't need to be rescaled?

tnx a lot

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I think TouchOSC can only send OSC to one IP address at the time, but I may be mistaken. If you only need to send a handful of commands, it's relatively straightforward to make your own OSC master using Processing or Quartz Composer. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, you can spring for Lemur for iPad, which can send to multiple IPs as well.

Of course it would always be better to create your content at the desired resolution before hand, or scale it manually when first loading it in. Any work that can be taken care of before show time, should be taken care of before show time ;)

Stafis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Stafis »

If you have a router on the network and you send to the multicast adress (normally IP *.*.*.255 Ex. 192.168.1.255) the message will be sent to all units in the network.

Could this work for these types of messages?

/Stafis

Joris

Post by Joris »

Hmmm. Yeah, theoretically that would work.....

buttza

Post by buttza »

I am unsure as to how the TouchOSC would work? I assume that you can't see previews of your clips like you would running slave and master options? So would it be more like a midi triggering and VFX remote adjuster etc?

I was hoping that Resolume was working towards the Media Server idea of running multiple servers linked to one master. That would be awesome as it would run really well due to it's extra vfx options. :D

I do love resolume tho. :D It's awesome. :)