What causes delay

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
kratata
Is taking Resolume on a second date

What causes delay

Post by kratata »

Hello,

what is the best setup for real time display/reaction.
Yesterday I had an setup like this :

Laptop - VGA - Edirol V8 - Beamer

There was a small delay on the beamer. And I was pushing all kinds of effects on the beat, and on my output monitor it was exactly on time, and on the beamer there was a small delay.
So my guess is that is has to do with a long cable ( don't know how long it was ).

What is the best setup that causes the least delay.
AND is there a option in resolume which can implement this delay in any kind of way. That would be fortune telling... but maybe some of you have great tips.

Thnx !
No Knowledge is a Statement

Tecno`
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: What causes delay

Post by Tecno` »

Hi Kratata,

You will probably find that the projector is adding the most delay, sometimes up to 5 frames.
You can often improve this by making sure that your signal is running in the native resolution to the projector.
Also any video mixer will add a slight delay, the V8 has scan converters on the computer inputs so that will add further delay.

Sometimes running in a progressive signal is faster than interlaced, so it may be worth trying to see if 720p is any better.

Tim

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We actually have somewhat of a 'fortune telling' option ;)

In the general preferences, you can set the clip start offset. This will make clips start a few millis further in their timeline, and from then on loop normally. This means that although you will miss a few frames on the first play, it should from then on be in sync.

Give it a try!

kratata
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by kratata »

exactly what I was looking for ! Wow, resolume fortune telled my whishes.
What will my future bring dear Resolume ?
No Knowledge is a Statement

deepvisual
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by deepvisual »

its not the cable length, unless your cables are over 500km long, then you might have a delay.