Resolume Arena goes slow after some time

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
nomeencuentro
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Resolume Arena goes slow after some time

Post by nomeencuentro »

I have Resolume Arena in a MacbookPro and when it is quite working for some time, the video begin to go very slow, until i quit Resolume and go back again. I was thinking that it happens when the laptop gets warm, but really quitting the software and coming back again fixes it. Why?

skulpture

Re: Resolume Arena goes slow after some time

Post by skulpture »

I wonder if this is related to the Quicktime RAM leak I keep hearing about?

Apparently the Quicktime X library isn't very efficient and leaks a bit of data which makes your RAM fill up; after a while it can make your computer become slower. The only way to stop it is to flush your RAM out by restarting the application.

Of course the bigger your RAM the less its effected.

I am not a programmer though so someone is bound to know a lot more about this than me. It might not even effect resolume - I am just wondering/pondering. :geek:

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Quicktime is indeed a bitch when it comes to this, it doesn't properly close the files when they are not playing, so using lots of clips in a single deck can be problematic.

The good news is that this is not an issue when using DXV clips.

We've introduced a few improvements for non-DXV codecs in 4.1.4, but in general when you're not using DXV it's good practice to keep deck sizes relatively small (30-50 clips). When you switch decks, the RAM is properly cleared.

skulpture

Post by skulpture »

That's really interesting to know about the DXV file.... is this the same for the HAP codec by any chance?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The Hap implementation in Resolume is nearly identical to DXV. To be honest we didn't check the memory usage yet, and I currently don't have a beta with Hap support at my disposal :-/

skulpture

Post by skulpture »

goto10 wrote:The Hap implementation in Resolume is nearly identical to DXV.
I thought it might be.
goto10 wrote:To be honest we didn't check the memory usage yet, and I currently don't have a beta with Hap support at my disposal :-/
Not a problem. I was just curious. 8-)

nomeencuentro

Post by nomeencuentro »

How to convert my videos to DXV codec?