Projection mapping onto performers

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
e85
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Projection mapping onto performers

Post by e85 »

Hi everyone,

I've been asked if I can projection map some of my visuals to two performers for an upcoming gig. I've dabbled with a little projection mapping before but have never really done a big project with it and I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys.

The venue's projector will be high up at an angle and I'm thinking the best way will be to get the performers to be completely made up in white and stay still for the projections to hit them but I'm a bit worried about the angle of the projector and how I'm going to deal with that in the video content - any tips?

Any advice or tips much appreciated! Thank you all :)

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Projection mapping onto performers

Post by Sadler »

Perhaps this is the same question?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10181

Or this...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10583

LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by LXConcepts »

they will have to be perfectly still or it will not work.

I would not suggest more than a minute or two of video.
Lighting and media server design

e85

Post by e85 »

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I'm going to look into what can be achieved with quartz composer and synapse with kinect - fingers crossed I'll get it working! :)

e85

Post by e85 »

Hi guys,

So I managed to get things kind of working but am having difficultly polishing it up so it can look as professional as possible and wondering if anyone can help. I got a basic sequence working in quartz composer which output to syphon and then Resolume could pick this up. The imagery from the Kinect camera comes in well but there is so much background detail present that it's difficult to properly projection map onto the figure - I find myself having to put really strong threshold effects on the clip in Resolume to just black out the background. I'm sure there must be a way of just tracking the figure and masking out the background but I just can't work out what the sequence would be for this in quartz composer - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks - I really appreciate it any tips anyone has on this,

Em

Benerman

Post by Benerman »

With the current version of Synapse you can enable 3 different levels of depth/tracking with the Kinect sensor. Basically you would just hit the space bar to change what you're tracking. I use only the user tracking setting for masking the DJ. I use Quartz composer to Syphon and it works great!