Mapping multiple surface configurations.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
justints
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Mapping multiple surface configurations.

Post by justints »

Hello All,

I am new to Resolume having come from VDMX (and did the big switch to windows!). I am very excited about it. Resolume looks rock solid and professional. I have a few respected colleges that swear by it!

I am currently working on projections for a choreographed piece that will have a series of sculptural projection surfaces. These surfaces will change configuration throughout the performance. I need the projections to map to each of the unique configurations. I do NOT need the projections to track with the movement of the surfaces as they change positions - they will be static when I am projecting.

My initial thoughts on how to do this:

- create a deck that maps layers to slices for a given configuration.
- when the configuration changes, I would load a new deck that has layers mapped to slices for the new configuration.
- all the slices would exist in a single advanced output.
- The other option would be to use Mapio to do much the same thing - it seems quite flexible.

I wanted to get some input on this from more experienced users.

1) Is it possible in Resolume's Advanced Output to have multiple output configurations for a project, or do I need to put all the slices in one output map?

2) Does this methodology seem sound?

3) Advanced output or Mapio?

4) Any tips?

Please let me know your thoughts.

- J

justints
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Mapping multiple surface configurations.

Post by justints »

Just digging through the forum and playing with the advanced output settings. I found this article: viewtopic.php?t=10567

It seems the way to map to multiple projection surface configurations with Resolume's Advanced Output settings would be to have a series of unique Advanced Output setting presets and to switch these for each individual projection surface configuration.

Now if the switching could be triggered Via midi or OSC, or even be tied to a deck, that would be perfect!

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

Really you should have stuck with vdmx and gone through syphon to madmapper.

in my experience resolumes advanced output pulls on my gpu more than syphon does and madmapper allows multiple outputs with the ability to have the configs selected by midi...

currently advanced output does not support this... it also does not have an undo function.

it will allow you to assign different screens to individual outs as you have mentioned you aim to do

I use PC gear a whole lot so I am stuck with resolume most of the time... generally it is workable... it is by no means ROCK solid...

if you are doing any mission critical production work it will behoove you to partition your drives and have a separate windows install which has nothing but resolume on it... nothing... this will ensure that your permissions to not get all funky and ruin the party for everyone... also dont bother fucking with audio... do not use any other codec besides dxv... if you insist on photojpg or something dont try to throw in multiple codecs... do not put too many clips into one scene... i think the safe limit is like 60 before you compromise yourself..

but

ENJOY

yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by yochee »

hi ho, i use avenue and mapio, its a very nice combination as mapio is quite fast and doesnt consume much gpu/cpu power. To get variations i put the mapio plugin onto layers, because with every layer i can output different screen setups (main comp: 2400x800px / with triplehead) so each layer can be 800x600/1600x600/2400x600 with different mapping objects inside (eg mapped surface vs mask and many combinations). as each layer can be triggered by midi or keyboard it shouldnt be a problem to do so.

I regularly have 15-30 layers in a composition, some with the same clips (all dxv) but mapped to different screens/objects. it takes some time to load that huge composition (maybe 2 minutes) but well its smthng like 200-400 clips, running without any problems.

sure the dependency on dxv is in a way a flaw, as these clips are huge and cannot be used in resolume 2 for example, or in modul8 (correct me). and I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW whether the THE NEW VDMX CODEC performs on resolume (does it?)..

and i am missing syphon/qc too, too bad this wyphon plugin for vvvv doesnt work on my nvidia gt540m with 2gb of DDR3 rams. On the other hand my system is more than 2 years old and some day i will get a new lappy with ddr5 and without optimus ;)

no problems with audio so far, but i know that i should better not change the ftt-amount (and oter preferences) during performance, but before ;)

btw, when loading a composition is finished and no clips play my standard fps is 60.16fps which i consider as good. when playing clips it drops for sure.. but u manage to keep it between 5 and 30fps during the night, depends on the amount and size of clips (multiple 800x600 clips are running much more smoothly than one 1280x720) running at the same time.. need a new system though :)