4.17 HAS A MEMORY LEAK

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
suvanto
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: 4.17 HAS A MEMORY LEAK

Post by suvanto »

Hi.
3 Hours home session, Full hd DXV and PhotoJpeg files with shit load of effects, no OSC. Memory usage stable 1.9 - 2.0 Gt. No leaks, just love for JitterBug!

Asus G75vx, Win 8, i7-3630QM, 8Gt RAM

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I turned off OSC on night 2 and used DXV clips on an autopilot layer and no problems, but memory usage was still a bit high in task manager.

gregsully
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gregsully »

bart wrote:gregsully: what affects do you have loaded?
Sorry for the slow response.. Traveling to the next show.. I have a thick stack off effects on the master... but its the same stack pretty much that I've been using since version 3.. Most times effects are at 0... but all with the possibility to bring in at any time..

"Colorize, Shift Glitch, Stripper, Edge detection, Fragment, Shift RGB, Add Subtract, Distortion, Wave Warp, Goo, LoResz, Iterate, Mirror, Trails, Mirror. LEvels, Vignette, Strobe, colorize (again)"

At last try before I officially moved back to 4.16.. I had a comp that was runing 1.2gb of memory and ticking up.. In V4.16 it was loading at around 850mb..

rawdesigns
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by rawdesigns »

WTF I'm having very poor performance as well my FPS comes to a haiku almost and then catches back up only to stop again. I may switch back to 4.1.6

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

gregsully wrote: Turned off DMX.. no change..
Turned off OSC... MEMORY LEAK STOPPED!..
Tuned OSC back on.. not leaking (at least not right now) (DMX still off)
Tuned DMX back on... (Had difficulty doing it.. crashed several times).. no leak
Do you still have the problem with enabling DMX? If so, could you please fill in the feedback form and send us the logs. Could you also tell us what dmx device you are using? Were you trying to enable art-net, enttec usb pro or enttec usb pro mk2?

gregsully

Post by gregsully »

I was using artnet...

In the beginning of the show during programming I was having problems initalizing osc when dmx was active... Then in the end when I was doing those tests to find the leak I was having problems initalizing dmx when osc when active.. several crashes.. but then it finally worked on both accounts. .

I don't know it just becsuse memory was running high or if it was a problem on its own.

I was having other dmx problems that I was meaning to make another post for. I was running two machines.. one primary and one backup... While one computer would be receiving 0 (for a particular dmx parameter) the other computer would be receving -0.74.. (position and rotation).. or 98.xx for scale instead of 100.. it was causing a lot of shifting and unpredicability. Like I said it was using artnet and it was an Avolties lighting console..

JQUEST
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by JQUEST »

gregsully wrote:
Turned off DMX.. no change..
Turned off OSC... MEMORY LEAK STOPPED!..
Tuned OSC back on.. not leaking (at least not right now) (DMX still off)
Tuned DMX back on... (Had difficulty doing it.. crashed several times).. no leak
Back to live cameras (now OSC and DMX on)... no leak..

So it seems to be OSC... not sure if it had to do with it in combination with anything else.. Thats the report from the field..
THANK YOU.
This seems to help tremendously.

Still testing, but after the last crash (climbed to over 1GB memory usage in TM) it's holding pretty steady at 160MB. UPDATE: Left it alone for 2 hours. Came back and it's crashed. Looks like memory usage increased to 186MB. Should really be ok... I'm at a loss...

gregsully

Post by gregsully »

Ya I stopped the leak one day.. but then the next day there was another and I couldn't stop it.. 4.17 is the most unstable release yet.. Its too bad because 4.16 is one of the most solid..

Even when solid though (4.16), this program is plagued with high memory usage.. Unless you run tiny comps its so easy to get the program in a state of too much memory.. A memory leak is just way too much to deal with on top of a history of crashes due to memory problems (which is pretty much every crash I have)..

I'm going to consider switching to (another program) if v5 does not become 64bit (to allow for much more memory access)