Edge blending with portrait and landscape projectors

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Edge blending with portrait and landscape projectors

Post by gabonacorp »

Hi Folks,

I will have a gig where I have to edge blend three projectors, where the two side projectors are portrait, the middle projector is landscape. The reason for this setup is not important, it has to be done in this way.

My idea is to make three slices where I rotate the two which is ported to the side projectors. My worries comes from the edge blending parts. In this case I will edge blend a bottom part with a side part, am I right?

Does anybody have edge blending experience with rotated projectors?

I will really appreciate every comment.

Thanks!

gabonacorp

Re: Edge blending with portrait and landscape projectors

Post by gabonacorp »

bump

I am really really appreciate every comment, idea.

thanks

Virus
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Virus »

hi,
i think its possible if you turn the left and right screens in the nvidia contol panel.
just try... im sure there is a way to do that.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Actually, there is no need for that. Edge blending with rotated projectors works exactly the same as with normal edge blending. This is because in Resolume the edge blending is set up in the Input Selection, which is separate from the actual output to your projectors.

For this I'll assume you're using a Matrox Trips with 3 projectors set to 1024x768. It will work with discrete outputs as well.

Make a comp of 2560x1024. That covers the width of your 3 projectors (768+1024+768) and the maximum height of them (1024, because they're in portrait). You'll lose some of the width because of the edge blending, but it's a good starting point for the setup.

Create 3 input slices, the middle is just 1024x768, dead in the center. The left and right should be 768x1024 (to take into account the portrait mode), and moved in towards the center to duplicate your physical projector setup. For more info on this aligning, check our edge blend tutorial. The principle is exactly the same, only your left and right slices are in portrait.
Input.png
Then in your output, set the middle slice to be 1024x768, dead in the center again. Left and right should be 768x1024 again, but rotated 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on how your projectors are rotated. Position them to the left and right of the center, so you exactly fill your 3072x768 TripleHead output.
Output.png
Turn on edge blend, and fix any alignment errors, and you should be good to go.

gabonacorp

Post by gabonacorp »

Thank you very much Yoris, that was clear and fully understandable.

I will try it and let the community know what happened.