BSOD with BlackMagic Design Intensity USB 3 & Thunderboldt

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
asperi
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

BSOD with BlackMagic Design Intensity USB 3 & Thunderboldt

Post by asperi »

I am running an Asus G55VW-DH71 and I get BSOD -ALL THE TIME- while running BlackMagic Design Intensity USB 3 & Thunderboldt. The thunderbolt Shuttle works fine on it's own but crashes like crazy when it and the USB 3.0 are plugged in, each just being fed 720p via HDMI. Using Resolume Avenue to mix the two video signals, not recording the video, just mixing it. Any help would be appreciated!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: BSOD with BlackMagic Design Intensity USB 3 & Thunderbol

Post by Joris »

Yeah, there seems to be something terribly wrong with certain USB chipsets and driver versions for the BM cards. Had this exact same issue at TomorrowWorld last year, even though the same Shuttle worked flawlessly on another computer the day before.

Currently I'm randomly going back through driver versions, and so far the January 2012 / Desktop Video 9.1 version has proven stable (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... rue&os=win). It's a bit hard to confirm anything, because it can be a few hours before it BSODs.

If we could get a working driver version confirmed by a few people, that would be great.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Didn't these usb3 cards only support a couple common chipsets when they first got released? I remember them sorting the issue later. I wonder if older drivers(CD) make a difference. I don't have the usb3 right now, just theorizing.

asperi

Post by asperi »

Sounds like BMD says they only support NEC usb3 controllers.. Would be nice if they said that on the product page.. the Asus has intel

here is what they said:
"We'd love to have USB 3.0 compatibility across the board, it would allow us to sell way more devices than we do. That being said, the issue at hand here is that when the USB 3.0 spec was announced, we saw that the 5gb/sec rate was enough to allow for uncompressed HD capture and we designed our device around that spec. When it came time for implementation however, only the NEC Renesas USB 3.0 Host controller was able to pass that full 5gb/sec that our device needs... Intel eXtensible, Asmedia, Texas Instruments all get really close but to not allow for the full 5gb/sec bandwidth that our devices need."

Thanks guys would have been nice to know before I dropped all this $ on a new laptop.

Anyone out there gotten the Asus G55vw to work with the Intensity Usb3?

Its so stupid too, BMD needs to get their stuff together.. all new MacBook pros have intel USB 3.0, and a lot of other lappys do now too.. I have a $600 laptop with USB3 and it works great on there, but not on here? Not like we need the full 1080 capture ability, with out dropping a frame, just need to stream into R4.. Joris, you guys are kind of teamed up with BMD, can you put some pressure on them to get this to work on other controllers? Even if limited...?

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Well the solution is just to stick at 720p which is nice to know as I have a G75. Blackmagic only made one usb3 product for this reason i suspect, you'll notice they have thunderbolt everything else. I'd just upgrade to thunderbolt, which seems to be the video capture tech of choice. That or be stuck at 720p.

Yo Joris! Throw the full power of the resolume VJ community at blackmagic! Our ego's make up for our marketshare. Myself included. :lol:

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Yeah, I think even our combined egos won't do much for product peer pressure. VJ'ing is "a land that never gave a damn about a brother like me and myself, because they never did." ;)

We'll get in touch with them about the BSOD stuff though. It's okay if chipsets are not supported, but that shouldn't cause crashes. Hopefully we can figure something out between us.

Joris

Post by Joris »

BTW, I'm not sure the crashes are happening only on 1080i. Asperi clearly states it happens on 720p for him and I have the same experience.

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Joris wrote:BTW, I'm not sure the crashes are happening only on 1080i. Asperi clearly states it happens on 720p for him and I have the same experience.

Totally right, my arm chair assumption is way off.

asperi

Post by asperi »

Thanks Joris, as always- you're tha man

colorblind86
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by colorblind86 »

Hi everyone!

First post so be gentle! I just activated resolume yesterday and am having a nightmare already. I have an Alienware top spec laptop with USB3 and currently using the Intensity Shuttle. Using Go Pro Hero 3 to stream live video in and here is where the problems start...

I have managed to get it working (with fiddling with damn settings) but here is the issue. I can get it working but when I change visuals and try to go back it crashes Resolume Arena. Sometimes the crash happens when I simply click on the shuttle intensity and sometimes it loads and just crashes immediately.

Having done some research on the above, it seems that it may be a chipset issue as mentioned but i'm not so sure, it seems to work fine on other programmes (BM media express capture works fine) and once the card is capturing the video in Resolume, it works fine as long as I dont change visuals!

Ripping my hair out on this one, tried different standards (1080/780 etc) and same is happening! Any suggestions? I really need this to work, it's part of my whole project! If the BM itensity pro doesn't work and that's the issue, can someone suggest another capture USB3 card that would? It does seem to be a Resolume issue atm though!