Also live capture stuttering?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Kalevi
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Also live capture stuttering?

Post by Kalevi »

I have spent many many nights to get Ultrastudio mini recorder to work smoothly. We have noticed that live camera capture starts to get out of sync and start stuttering randomly during Arena session. Ocassionally I can get it work perfectly about few minutes or so. If input from camera and output to external monitor from mac book pro hdmi is the same format (1080 50i or 720 50p) resolume can work perfectly - I have seen it - but it won't last long. Interlacing and everything works perfect, just like directly from camera to monitor. But then it starts stuttering - though no black frames. Some times it looks like 12 fps.

Firstly I want to mention that the same set up works flawlessly with broadcast software Vmix if external output is through Ultrastudio mini monitor. So mini recorder, drivers, cameras cables, mac, etc. are probably ok.

I suspect that problem is somewhere how mbp hdmi out is handled by resolume? Nividia and mac problem, hdcp ?

Has anybody else MBP user experienced same sort of capture stuttering ? Resolume shows no dropped frames and when it happens to work smoothly I can ad lot of effects and layers and it still works fine - weird. Recorded file by media express is fine in retina display.

Problem could probably be solved with support for sdi out boards like Ultrastudio mini monitor, but I presume that huge delay will be inevitable and sdi out that way useless ?

Setup tested with:

1) Retina ssd MBP late 2012 osx 10.8.5 Arena 4.1.7,
2) Retina ssd MBP late 2013 Maverics, Arena 4.1.7,
3) Retina ssd MBP late 2013 bootcamp windows 8.1 Arena 4.1.7.

We have two BMD Ultrastudio mini recorders with thunderbolt. Desktop Video 9.9.3 and older tested. Three Thunderbot cables. Many hdmi and bnc cables tested. Panasonic cameras and hd-sdi video switcher tested.

Camera feed tested from hdmi out to minirecorder and hdmi first converted to sdi and then to mini recorder - same results.

DXV (and other formats) playback stuttering is also irritating, but there is other thread for that. Looking forward to 5. Love the software - hope these can be solved.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Also live capture stuttering?

Post by Joris »

Could you maybe film the interface screen while this stuttering is happening and send the movie to mail@resolume.com? Hopefully that gives us a better idea of where to start looking.

Kalevi

Post by Kalevi »

Yes I can do that. May take few days I have time to do the setup, but I'll be back.

renanmarc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by renanmarc »

Could you please post the reply and the problem solved here? I have exactly the same problem here.

Kalevi

Post by Kalevi »

Here is video about the problem. It took some time to get this done.
https://vimeo.com/livekuva/review/86434522/5d1823daa2

Kalevi

Post by Kalevi »

Now we have tested latest Resolume Arena with our new strong rack video server pc with new black magic decklink mini recorder cards and new cameras. There is no equipment from the old setup. And the result is just the same - live video capture is stuttering just like before in MBP retina setup with thunderbolt mini recorders.

Test 1: All monitors and cameras are 720 50p format. Resolume is in 25fps mode. Variable stuttering occurs in external monitor as with previous MBP setup. Few minutes can be perfect and suddenly stuttering looks like 12 fps instead of 25.

Test 2: Like above but 1080 50i.

No stuttering in recordings and exporting through sdi card is perfect in other softwares.

I would like to know if someone has ever succeeded to get smooth live camera capture with hd-sdi to external monitor with resolume. If so, did he/she use BlacMagic capture devices? Or did they do some extra tuning with nvidia 3d settings?

Note that same stuttering is present in other softwares as well when using external monitor from GPU card (tested Wirecast and Vmix). But in vmix there is no stuttering if exporting through black magic mini monitor device (hd-sdi). So is it universal problem with all GPU based systems and outputs or is it problem with blacMagic or nvidia?

manuelgazzo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by manuelgazzo »

Same problem here. :(
It´s random. Sometimes it works good and sometimes it just stutters. In my case, it doesn´t depend on how many layers, effects or comp size. The issue happens on a "heavy load" comp or even in a tiny single 640*480 comp size with one layer and no effects.
I don´t blame arena. Don´t think so.
I have an avermedia capture card (HDMI, not SDI) and it works really smooth. Impressive. It also has less latency that my blackmagic cards. And are a lot cheaper :shock: :o :shock: However, avermedia needs some tricky setup to run properly on arena and it doesn´t seem to be very professional.
Sad that blackmagic cards stutters for met. I´ve checked all setup on gpu panel, resolume and bmd panel. No success.

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dbassix »

Any News on this?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Do you still have stuttering issues with capture cards?