windows 8.1 resolution strange

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
asperi
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: windows 8.1 resolution strange

Post by asperi »

Has anyone found a way to fix this other than going to 8.0? I am having the same issue. I have nvidia 860 and i7 win8.1. In os it says both display and output are 1920x1080. In r4 it says disp2 1536x864 and disp1 720p... So if I out put to the "720" one it goes to the out put 1080

Really odd. Before the weird 1536 resolution it said 0x0 for the second display

Have tried different versions or the intel graphics driver and the nvidia one, still not getting r4 to be correct with the os. Outputting to LCD TV or blackmagic intensity at 1080..

Current version 4.1.11.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The problem is with Win 8.1 Desktop Scaling. When this is set to anything else than 100%, Resolume gets the wrong resolutions from the system and all sorts of craziness ensues.

The confusing thing is that Win 8.1 puts this setting at 125% without telling you, so you don't know it has changed.

We've done some fixes for this on the upcoming 4.2, but in general it's best to just set Desktop Scaling back to 100%: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/hands ... ay-scaling

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

A few other thoughts:

First, this could come from cable quality and/or length so I would also test with different cables. Remember that all cables are not created equal and you want to make sure you stay under 15ft for HDMI/DVI. If you use a DVI/HDMI amp, make sure your long cable is first then amp then short cable which is the opposite of analog amps.

Most LCD TVs have an HDMI input for computers which will behave different than the other HDMI inputs so make sure you test them all. .

As far as the Blackmagic devices, for some reason it doesn't always give you the right resolution in R4 but you still get it the right output. The best way to test is to create a 1920x1080 comp, show the test card, create a slice where both input & output are the whole area, select your BMD output and shift the slice one pixel at a time in X or Y position under Transform using the -/+ button. If your output is not getting the full resolution, you will see the 1-pixel vertical or horizontal lines appear and disappear. If these lines are moving across smoothly, then you're getting the right output even though it gives you the wrong resolution.

asperi

Post by asperi »

Cool, setting the scale to 100% fixed it. Now the 1 and 2 displays are flipped flopped but this seems to be a windows issue

yochee

Post by yochee »

yep, also had this with my new machine: projector resolution is 1920x1200 and resolume tells me it'd be 2400x1500 (=125%). thanks!