Isolated flickering output on a 2-projector blend

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Isolated flickering output on a 2-projector blend

Post by Oaktown »

We are having issues with a 2-projector blend and I can't figure out what the problem could be.

One of the projectors is flickering back to the previous cue (see video at https://www.dropbox.com/s/3s48zb1dc4djd ... kering.mp4). We've run through the composition a dozen time after the show without any glitches so I can't tell what's happening.

The set up is as follows:
- Media Server: Antec TAKE 4U, Windows 7 PRO 64 bit, Intel Core Duo 6850 2 at 3GHz, FSB 1333MHZ, Chipset P35, 8GB 800 MHz RAM
- Graphics card: Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6
- Monitor: 20" HP LED monitor
- Projectors: Sanyo PLC-XF35 + LNS-W05 lenses + POA-MD13NET network cards to control the projectors through the network
- Signal distribution:
1 active mini displayport to DVI adapter and 6' DVI cable to monitor
2 active mini displayport to VGA adapters (Accell B101B-002B) to 6' VGA cables to VGA amp to 100' VGA cables to 5-BNC adapter (RGBVH)
- Network: Cisco Linksys Factory E1500 WIFI router with
1 @ 6ft CAT5e ethernet cable to computer
2 @ 100ft CAT5e ethernet cables to projectors
1 @ 200ft CAT5e cable to remote station using RealVNC (that was used during tech to program the show from the house since the server is backstage)
WIFI connection to iPhone
- Cueing: iPhone running Luminair with DMX over Artnet. The only DMX channel used is #5 to go from column to column in theatrical cueing style

Any thoughts?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Isolated flickering output on a 2-projector blend

Post by drazkers »

What Driver are you using? AMD cards had all kinds of wacky shit in resolume for me.

Also can you replicate this behavoir plugged into straight monitors with the same resolution and settings?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

We are using the most current drivers and version of Catalyst:

Display Driver ver. 13.251
OpenCL(tm) Driver ver. 10.0.1348.5
Catalyst Control Center ver. 2013.1206.1602.28764

The problem is that we haven't been able to replicate the problem after the show on Sunday! I am thinking that the problem may have come from the video card having a refreshing rate or frame buffering issue on one of the video outputs, what do you think?

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

I think you shouldn't EVAAAAAR use the latest AMD driver, check the forums for the last universally accepted driver.

I've had all kinds of crazy shit that you can't replicate happen in resolume with a 7970. I had

-A solo button that happened for no reason and couldn't be untriggered.
-Clips that could only be triggered once unless you readded the media(DXV)
-Resolume's GUI output go black, but output is fine.

All of these happened mid show, when i couldn't close and restart. A restart made the issues vanish. Switching to a GTX 680 fixed all these and made resolume rock solid. These errors also happened with the driver version universally called stable for resolume.

I think it was a bad card, but its also tainted amd for me. Switch up your drivers to 12.4 or whatever everyone last had success on. Then run the show and PRAY.

PS. I also think your crazy to run resolume for a theatre show. How do you set your fade times for cues? Hopefully you got a nice little MSP patch or use the board.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure you're right and will downgrade the AMD driver to a previous stable version.

As far as cueing for the theatre, I've been designing & programming theatre shows for years using Resolume with great success and I've done it both ways either using Arena 4 directly or using a Luminair to cue columns.

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Using a lighting board(system) is pretty much the best way of going about it. Back in the day I used ETC boards to trigger all kinds of isadora goodness.

Its an aspect of resolume I always bring up because newbies get so excited about edge blending they forget some of the most fundamental theatre requirements.