Black Magic Mini Monitor Crash

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Black Magic Mini Monitor Crash

Post by kmifflin »

I've just installed a Black Magic Mini Monitor in my studio machine that I design and test content on. I DO NOT HAVE ANY INTENTION OF USIG THIS CARD AS AN OUTPUT FOR RESOMULE. I use this case do other preproduction purposes. However with the 9.9.3 Blackmagic Driver installed for OSX Resolume refuses to boot. If I uninstall the driver resolume boots.

Please fix this.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Black Magic Mini Monitor Crash

Post by drazkers »

What does 9.9.2 do?

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

I'm not sure about 9.2.2, but I think that its irrelevant. The problem is that Resolume is see in the Monitor card as a device capture input. The monitor card only has outputs! Resolume just needs to ignore this card.

After reinstalling the driver Resolume does now boot however it takes forever to boot. Uninstalling the BM drivers everything is totally fine.

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

kmifflin wrote:I'm not sure about 9.2.2, but I think that its irrelevant. The problem is that Resolume is see in the Monitor card as a device capture input. The monitor card only has outputs! Resolume just needs to ignore this card.

After reinstalling the driver Resolume does now boot however it takes forever to boot. Uninstalling the BM drivers everything is totally fine.
Testing 9.2.2 can help pin point what the solution is. I've always found being a helpful bug reporter gets things faster then demanding like a child. For all we know its actually a bug made by black magic in the latest version and Resolume needs to work with them. This happens with AMD alot.

Considering 9.2.3 has been out since nov and your the first one it could be a number of things.

What version of Resolume are you using? Does it happen when the device is not plugged in?

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

demanding like a child
Very Professional.

All versions of the driver seem to have the same issue.
Either Crashes or Long Load times with the BlackMagic Mini Monitor (PCIe Card) installed.

I don't think the issue has any thing to do with the driver version. My Intensity Pro, DeckLink SDI, and Ultra Studio all work fine. The issue is that Resolume is seeing the Mini Monitor as a Capture Device. See the image below.
Mini Monitor is an output only device that I use Premier, Final Cut, and Motion.
Its not the end of the world if this is not resolved as I would never install this card in a system that I would use for an event. This just needs to be consider for a bug report. Preferably add "ignore bdbd:a12f Device ID" to the list of known black magic devices.
Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 5.07.49 PM.png

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

I have one of these kicking around and have a windows system, i'll give it a go with avenue to see if I get the same results.

I'd also like to state i've no affiliation with Resolume so my forum professionalism shouldn't be linked with them. :lol:

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

I would never install this card in a system that I would use for an event
After finding Black Syphon I might just have a use for the mini monitor in a live rig.
http://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/black-syphon

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

kmifflin wrote:RESOMULE
hehehe

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for the bug report, kmifflin. We'll look into it.

Output via BM devices is also on our roadmap, so we might hold off on an 'ignore fix' until we can properly support the device.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

I figured out why this system was taking so long to load resolume. A midi driver from avid had caused the OS X midi core to crash. After removing the midi driver the system now load resolume as expected. The output card still shows up in the input devices and if you choose it as an input resolume crashes.