New user question about color "ignore"

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Cbright9
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

New user question about color "ignore"

Post by Cbright9 »

Hello all, Ive just recently moved over to Resolume Arena from GrandVJ and I like it alot.
As with transitions there are alot of new ways Im learning to do the things I did in GrandVJ.
One thing I cannot figure out for the life of me is Rejecting Black or Reject White, or any color for that matter.
Im not sure if anyone is familiar with GrandVJ but there is a feature called "Reject" in the mixing window and what it does basically is makes black or white or whatever color in the list you choose invisible. So you can stack graphics on top of each other.
I found something in Arena that is similar to this but it affects the transparency of the graphic and thats not what Im looking to do. Is there something that Im missing here?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Clinton

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: New user question about color "ignore"

Post by pfelberg »

You don´t "reject" / "ignore" colors in Resolume.
You simply use the alpha channel (transparency channel) within the file.
Or... you can use some blend modes to cut out black or white, as luminance for instance.

Cbright9

Post by Cbright9 »

Sorry, Im kind of new to this and i dont understand all the terms. Im not sure what the alpha channel is, do all graphics clips have an alpha channel?

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

Most RGB files with true color (said 16MM colors) have 03 channels (R, G, B) each one with 8 bit information and a total os 24 bits.
The Alpha Channel is an extra 8 bit channel (A), adding transparency information to the file, for a total of 32 bits.
No. Alphas do not come with every video clip file.
Alphas are native by the time you generate your video clip content.
You must understand your video content and learn about Alpha Channels, according to the video software you use to produce/edit your video content.

This subject is most related to video production itself, than the usage of Resolume.

Try te blending modes. Try Luma, Luma1.. I am pretty sure you will find the same results you got before on Arkaos.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

In layman's terms, alpha refers to the part of the video which is transparent/invisible. Aside from rendering it into your content at production time, it can also be created in Resolume.

The best way to create transparency where the original video is black is to use the Auto Mask effect.

To create transparency in arbitrary colors, take a look at the Chroma Key effect.

Another option is to use the Pixel High Pass effect to render certain colors to black, and then use Auto Mask to make the black transparent.

MarkusKrippner

Post by MarkusKrippner »

Hi everyone :-)

Same situation here:
I'm coming from Arkaos, and I'm missing the "Color Reject" function.
In Arkaos it's only one mouseclick, to make a color transparent. (black, white, red, green, blue, .....)
Joris wrote:...The best way to create transparency where the original video is black is to use the Auto Mask effect.

To create transparency in arbitrary colors, take a look at the Chroma Key effect.

Another option is to use the Pixel High Pass effect to render certain colors to black, and then use Auto Mask to make the black transparent.
... ok, so in Resolume it's
- AutoMask for rejecting black
- ChromaKey for rejecting arbitrary colours

but what to do with WHITE ?

...markus :-)

residenthamster

Post by residenthamster »

Use Invert -> LumaKey -> Invert?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

MarkusKrippner wrote: but what to do with WHITE ?
Click the Invert checkbox and set contrast to 1 in the Auto Mask effect.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

How bad makes a one-button policity apps to the user learning. :cry:

Tell you guys, don't get scared about making things with several methods instead of one button, Resolume terminology is the same you will find in any video proffesional environment.

MarkusKrippner

Post by MarkusKrippner »

Zoltán wrote:
MarkusKrippner wrote: but what to do with WHITE ?
Click the Invert checkbox and set contrast to 1 in the Auto Mask effect.
Thanks, Zoltán ... that helped :-)
francoe wrote:How bad makes a one-button policity apps to the user learning. :cry:
Thanks, Francoe ... but that didn't help ;-)

...markus :-)