Noob Question - Double Video Clip Speed?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
elgrayso
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Noob Question - Double Video Clip Speed?

Post by elgrayso »

new to Resolume (using Arena 4.1.7). most things feel intuitive and smooth!
however for the life of me i cant figure out how to make a video clip play twice as fast.
i should say, more specifically, a video loop with an audio loop on top of it.
there is a button to double or half the speed of BOTH it looks something like [ /2 +2 ]. However i like the audio loop the way it is and the loop is playing correctly. But it is the video that is twice as slow and i want to double the speed of ONLY the video on this clip. Surely this is a simple concept many people run into and there is a quick way to do it?

(i looked it up on google and cant figure out how to ask it to yield results, i also looked in the manual and cant find it!)

thanks!!

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Noob Question - Double Video Clip Speed?

Post by DayVeeJay »

I've encountered this as well and I just used the tempo to correct it. In your case this is what I'd suggest...

You can drop the file on the deck twice. Under the clip properties you will be able to click the little X next to either the video or the audio. Do this so that each instance of the file is playing something different... One for audio and one for video. If you'd like you can now change Tempo/BPM to timeline based speed control on your video clip. From there change the speed and use the column trigger to trigger both clips at once.

Rerendering would be much simpler

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso »

very surprised there isnt an option for this!
so you are saying that if i had a video loop of a conductor moving his wand up once then back down (a very short video clip), i would have to loop this clip 4 times myself and then export it. that way if i dropped it on a 4-bar loop his wand would match up to be on beat?
this software is so well put together it blows my mind that there isnt an option for this.

(in the future i hope to have ableton send midi signals and trigger my video clips. i suppose i will be able to change the video speed independent of the audio at that point. )

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Your asking for independent speed controls for the audio and video?

You can't do that in resolume right now. A simple solution is to keep your sound and video in separate files and trigger them together via columns.

Making it happen programming wise may actually be a tad challenging i suspect, because now you can't just play a file from the hard drive directly. Now you would need to take the video, separate the audio and video into new temp files and then play them back at different speeds. That or maybe just make a temp duplicate that only does audio while the original does video.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso »

so many cool options and customization... crazy you cant change the video to be faster...
maybe in a future version

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Wait, i think I misunderstood what you are asking. If you simply want to make the clip faster, just change from BPM to timeline, as shown in the first picture below.
Switch clip to timeline to speed up.
Switch clip to timeline to speed up.

If you can handle multiple layers, copy your video to each layer, on the top layer, click the x under the audio tab for the clip. Then double the speed for the video layer. If you trigger both clips by column you now have an audio clip at regular speed and a video clip at twice the speed.
The attachment fix 2.png is no longer available
Attachments
fix 2.png

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso »

Thanks for the replies. I am not at home to test that yet, but just to clarify, what I want to do I guess can be worded as: make the audio loop play once, yet change how many times the video plays. so maybe the video plays 4 times in the same time it takes the audio loop to play once.
So I guess by "speed" what I really should have said was independent loops. Although if you for 4 loops in the time normally allocated for one loop, it would be 4 times faster, of course.

it seems like this would be a standard feature so we don't have to export video loops tediously just to do a little experimenting on what speed looks best with the audio.

elgrayso

Post by elgrayso »

This could be done on different layers, but it's always nice to have things more contained, especially when you are triggering multiple items

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The only way to do this at the moment is indeed by separating audio and video. It's not that much of a stretch to do this, but we have toyed with the idea to make this easier a few times.

Thanks for letting us know there would be a demand for this.

Daisuk
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Daisuk »

Is there any way to separate the speed of the audio and video in Resolume 6? I want to use FFT from the sound associated with the video clip to trigger various reactions (but per video clip) - so using different layers for audio and video wouldn't work (I think).