Flash with HW accelerated graphics

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Flash with HW accelerated graphics

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

VUO is still being developed and is cross-platform node style editing. Once it's released you can use it for free, but you won't have access to the latest features for 6-10 months after a release.

I think that giving the user the ability to change the flash parameters (just add more to the parameters field in Arena) will fix this Stage3D issue.

I could be wrong (not knowing exactly how Arena handles the interop between flash/video). I'm thinking that when an SWF is loaded, they ONLY look to see if compression is turned off so it can read width/height and frame rate and that's it, everything else is loaded as "default" which causes Flash to render on CPU.

I can get the simplest interactive 3D box to run on an android phone/iphone/ipad, emulator, browser but not in Arena.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

going the way of the dinosaurs
We're not throwing Flash away just yet, we're just simply not going to add more functionality to it.
is there a different language we should expect Res 5 to use for similar functionality
We're looking at several popular languages in the creative coding scene ( Processing, WebGL/three.js, shaders/ISF, openFrameworks, VUO, .... )

At the moment we're leaning towards Processing, because it is very user friendly and has a helpful, active and friendly community around it.

Nothing is set in stone yet though. Which one would have your preference?

hookerbot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by hookerbot »

Joris wrote:
going the way of the dinosaurs
Nothing is set in stone yet though. Which one would have your preference?
Processing is the only one I personally have any experience with, and its hardware support is pretty expansive, as long as those sorts of variables could be integrated into a file within resolume. If so, I could see that being a fair bit of fun for super out of the box interactive visuals. Thanks for the reply Joris.

MkUltra
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by MkUltra »

Processing would be FANTASTIC! One reason I still fiddle with Flash is that it allows for custom Resolume parameters. If there was a way to build a processing sketch in resolume that would have hooks for input and data I WOULD BE SO PSYCHED!

Syphon kind of works... but I've found focus issues when moving from a Processing sketch to Rez. For instance, I built a Leap Motion visualizer that I can run in Resolume... but as soon as I start doing layer effects or messing with the Rez UI, I lose my Leap input :(

MkUltra
Is taking Resolume on a second date

bump: Processing in Rez support!

Post by MkUltra »

One thing that's cool about Processing is that the community is so huge... like Flash in the 2000's :lol:

I think that's because the learning curve is so quick, non-programmers can pick it up really easily, which would make it a great addition to those looking to expand Resolume featuresets.

Processing's support for hardware acceleration and 3d would probably prevent some of the bottlenecks I've found while building Flash plugins, that's for sure. And since it handles fonts/images/video/3d really well, it can be a great starting place for getting creative with programming!

... dreaming of Processing sketches that I can pass Resolume data into .... crazy possibilities :idea: