Wrong resolution with BMD DVI Extender in Arena 4

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Wrong resolution with BMD DVI Extender in Arena 4

Post by Oaktown »

I am using a Blackmagic Design DVI Extender to output SDI to a projector and I can't seem to get the resolution right in Resolume.

Here are the specs on the PC media server:
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ
Video card: XFX Radeon Double D R9 270X R9-270X-CDFC Video Card 2GB DDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), AMD CrossFire
Resolume Arena 4.1.8

The BMD DVI Extender is connected to one of the Dual-link DVI-I outputs on the video card. The resolution is set to 1920x1080 and when I check the resolution in AMD Catalyst or the native display interface, it shows at 1920x1080 but when I select that output in Resolume, it come up as 1280x720 instead.

Any thoughts on how to set the output to 1920x1080 in Resolume instead of 1280x720?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Wrong resolution with BMD DVI Extender in Arena 4

Post by Joris »

We've had a few reports of this happening on Windows 8.1. So far we haven't been able to reproduce it.

It would be interesting to see if Resolume is actually outputting at 1280x720, or if it's just reporting the wrong number.

Can you try sending the test card fullscreen to display 2, from a 1920x1080 comp? Some of the 1 pixel lines should disappear if the resolution is being reduced and then blown up again.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Joris,

I'll try that when I'm back in the theatre and report back.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Assuming that the 1 pixel lines are very 40 pixels (40, 80, etc....) , then the output was 1920x1080 but it reads 1280x720.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for checking and reporting back!

Those lines are indeed at every 40 pixels vertically and horizontally.

So it looks like Win 8.1 is just reporting the wrong EDID information for some monitors / outputs. That narrows down the search a lot!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

So far I've only noticed that problem with the Blackmagic DVI extender. I have two of them and they behaved the same. When I plug a projector or monitor directly, I have not noticed any EDID discrepancies.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Honestly, I've been debating dumping BMD devices completely. They seem more concerned with being the "first" to come out with a brand new technology cheaply that they completely fail at support/actual development.

I've sent 5 extenders back to them because of resolution/scan line issues. The only way I don't get issues is when I output from my server to the extender into a Tricaster.

BMD extender to any BMD capture device causes these issues which seems like they don't test their own products with each other.

I've been getting all sorts of frame dropping/refresh problems with their mini converters, which is only resolved when unpluggING the source and plugging back in. Sent back 8 converters because of this and BMD response every time is "we recreated issue, ticket has been made and sent to engineers". I've followed up with no response, no fixes ever issued.

Never had these issues with AJA, tempted to try the new Atomos, but BMD is ruining cheap gear.

rrebuffo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by rrebuffo »

I just found a simple fix for that problem...
Messing around with my displays, I noticed that every window that I dragged to the second display (HDMI Samsung PDP) was somehow zoomed in to fit the new DPI setup so I figured windows would pass the final resolution to resolume instead the actual native resolution.
So finally I went to the display scaling settings in control panel and changed to a single display scale across all displays and that solved the issue.