Layer to play on slice only?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
asperi
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Layer to play on slice only?

Post by asperi »

Bit new at mapping and the advanced output. I have it 90% working how I want it to but still getting caught up a bit.

I have a layer with a triangle. I assign it to a few slices that I map to the triangles being projected on, cool.
Now I want to mask the whole projected area so that full screen main comp video only plays on the triangles- mixed with video from the layer with the triangle.

Seems I can only do one or the other. I want to mix full screen (with masked triangles) with the triangles from the layer- the content on the layer are triangle specific graphics..

The other option is to take a picture of the mapped triangles and photoshop /mask all of the triangles, have that layer over everything.. but I still cant feed the individual triangles from the layer it seems.. Or am I missing something?

Any help would rock, Thanks!

asperi

Re: Layer to play on slice only?

Post by asperi »

Essentially is there a was to send a layer to a slice without it having to be played through the main comp output?

asperi

Post by asperi »

Ok I figured out a way to do this but its not the best.. Maybe someone else out there has a better idea.

I map all of the triangles from one layer to slices- as many as you have to project on.

Make a new slice for each other layer in the comp- these will do the full screen video. Don't move these, just leave them be.

Now crop each triangle with the crop mask in the advanced output.

Now you get the triangle graphics from one layer and full screen graphics (only on the triangles) showing across all the triangles.. Pretty quick and dirty to set up..

Downside.. you loose transition effects and its a bit funky.. plus the anti-alias of the cropping is not too great..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Essentially is there a was to send a layer to a slice without it having to be played through the main comp output?
Quickest way to do this:
1. Set the layer to be the input of the slice ( I think you figured that out already ).
2. Set the layer to be on crossfader channel A.
3. Set the crossfader to channel B.

You will now get the whole composition output, including blend modes, but excluding the layer in question.

asperi

Post by asperi »

Ah thanks Joris, I dont really use the xfader much

Thelooca

Post by Thelooca »

great tip! thx joris!