DXV

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
simplepanda
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DXV

Post by simplepanda »

Hi guys.

Having a problem with DXV. I've been asked to deliver some assets to a venue and they're asking for DXV Format, 1080p, 29.97 fps. I downloaded the codec pack and encoded the assets. So far so good and the assets encode without issue.

The problem is that when I play back the final assets in QT7, everything plays at 50% frame rate. If I encoded to 29.97 QT7 only plays back at 15. Same with 23.98 - it only plays at 12. QT lists it at the proper frame rate but then never gets over half the rate on playback.

Using a Mac Pro with Mavericks. Any ideas?

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: DXV

Post by Basic »

When you say assets. Do you mean your playing one at a time or say several layers at once?
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

simplepanda
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by simplepanda »

Just one file at a time.

I'm not a VJ - just a videographer / editor who's been asked to deliver assets to a venue for display. I asked the on-site video guy what format he prefers and he asked for DXV.

I installed the codecs fine and both Apple Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder see them. Options seem straightforward enough and I've encoded my 1080p ProRes files into 1080p DXV (.MOV's with PCM audio).

The problem is, when I open any of the 1080p DXV's in Quicktime 7 to check them they don't playback at full frame rate. The audio is fine and the video follows the audio in good sync but the player is dropping half the frames. I don't have the actual Resolume software to check the files in.

If I encode to 720p things play fine (albeit they seem to have a nasty gamma shift).

Is this normal? Would it be reasonable to think if I deliver these files they'll actually play OK once loaded into arena?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The DXV codec is only hardware accelerated in Resolume. When you play it back in Quicktime Player, you're trying to decode a heavily compressed codec on the CPU. So it can be expected that Quicktime Player can't keep up, especially with higher resolution files.

Try playing it back in Resolume. You'll see that Resolume easily plays back your files, up to 60fps.