Unstable video quality with some slices

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Unstable video quality with some slices

Post by Oaktown »

I'm having a weird issue that I can't seem to solve. I've got a two compositions running side by side on two separate media servers and they are controlled with one controller using DMX over ArtNet. The overall composition is projected on 8 screens using 6 projectors (4 media server 1 and 2 on media server 2). Both media servers use XFX Double D R9 270X 1050M 2GB DDR5 video cards.

All of a sudden yesterday, slices started flickering. Not screens or projectors but slices. That means if one projector is doing 2 slices, one slice is completely stable and the other would randomly flicker.

Both of these media servers have been stable for the past few months so I find it weird that both would start acting up at the same time. We were able to "fix" the problem by tweaking the 3D setting in Catalyst (v13.12) but I'm afraid that was a temporary fix!

We are opening the show tonight and I need to find a viable solution before 5:30p PST so any help or feedback is appreciated

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Unstable video quality with some slices

Post by Oaktown »

Happy to post a solution to my flickering problem :D

It turns out the issue came from a layer we were not using in the show! We'd created a layer with cue numbers (we were using decimal points) so that the operator would know what cue they were in and that ended up over taxing the system. The layer was a series of 300x300 PNG files (about 85) and the slice flickering went away the moment I turned that layer off and activated the [ignore column trigger] option. I ended up removing it from the composition and the show ran without any glitches.