Exclude effects on layer

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
rawdesigns
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Exclude effects on layer

Post by rawdesigns »

Hey I was curious if there is an option to have effects added to the comp but on a certain layer or clip have those effects muted? I like to get the performers logo on top layer without it being interrupted by effects on other layers. thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Exclude effects on layer

Post by Zoltán »

you can drop effect to empty slots in a layer above your content, so they will acts as effects to all clips underneath that layer.
place excluded clips above your effect clip.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

rawdesigns

Post by rawdesigns »

I tried doing this but a couple things I didnt like. One is that i have to toggle that clip to launch the effect and then turn my knobs to adjust it. The other is when I do launch the effect clip, all lower clips get saturated when launching Hue Rotate effect. There's no type of trick or option to simply have all effects on comp and then have a "disable all effects on this layer" button?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Assuming your effects are in the layers/composition not the clips, one trick would be to use either application or composition key mapping and assign keys to the effects' (blind) mode . Note that you can assign the same key to multiple effects so that you could group them in layers. You could also do it for effects in clips but that could become a lengthy process and you might run out of keys!

Here is a picture to show you the layout:

Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 7.24.21 PM.png
That way, when you hit that keystroke, all effects that are in one layer would go to blind.

Note that you could use DMX, OSC or MIDI mapping as well but Key mapping will be quick and easy to test.

rawdesigns

Post by rawdesigns »

Thanks for the screenshot! I couldn't get that to work i'm using an APC 40. You can see by my screen shot i have all effects in that layer and duplicated them in each layer except for the top where artist logo's go. Instead of all those effects in each layer i'd like to put it in the composition and assign a layer to mute effects. I'm sure it would help my lag problem too! Its probably not possible maybe next update!
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

its probably not possible maybe next update!
Short answer: No, not possible and no, it never will be.

Long answer:
This is one of those things which are so out of line with the philosophy of Resolume. You're asking to get a backwards solution to achieve something which would result in increased render times and complex UI design.

This is the current signal flow:
A clip's pixels are read. Any clip level effects are then applied to the result of that.
A layer's pixels are read. Any layer level effects are then applied to the result of that.
All layers are combined together. Any composition level effects are then applied to *the combined result of that*.

Note that that last part means the rendering of the effects only happens after all the layers are combined together. This means they're only rendered once in total, instead of once for every layer.

You're asking to instead to add drop down menu for each effect which is only accessible on the comp level which would force Resolume to have to render each layer separately with an effect and then exclude a certain layer from said effect.

Aside from the fact that it's already possible with two methods described in this thread, this is just not the way Resolume works. The power of Resolume is that it works simple, intuitive and straight forward, especially at three in the morning. The drawback of this is that sometimes you can't do everything exactly how you want.

There are plenty of softwares out there that allow you to configure your setup just the way you like. They're all very well programmed and they're great if you're into getting your geek on like this. We prefer to make a tool that focusses on performance and being creative with your content instead of making your own interface.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Besides:
One is that i have to toggle that clip to launch the effect and then turn my knobs to adjust it.
How is this different from an effect on the composition? Of course an effect first needs to be part of the render chain before you can adjust it. As long as you keep all your effects in one Layer Effect ( like you would keep them on the comp ) and keep that clip always triggered, the workflow is exactly the same.
The other is when I do launch the effect clip, all lower clips get saturated when launching Hue Rotate effect.
There is no effect that acts differently when you apply it as a Layer Effect instead of anywhere else. If you're sure you haven't accidentally applied different settings on the effect, make sure you have the blend mode of the layer set to alpha and full opacity.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

To add to Joris' replies,
I like to get the performers logo on top layer without it being interrupted by effects on other layers. thanks!
Unless you put the effects at the composition level, you should have no problems having logos on the top layer.

Now, if you are intent on putting the effects on the whole composition, here is another way you could address your needs:

layer 5: Performer Logo
layer 4: Layer router of composition with effects
layer 1-3: clips for composition (pics & vids)

That way the layer router will apply your effects to the composition below and the logos will be unaffected by your choices below. Also, if you want to turn off all the effects for the comp, all you have to do is blind the layer with the layer router. To make it even easier, you could use the keyboard map and use B to blind the layer router.

Note that this will work with most but not all of the effects and you might need to turn on the [Black BG] option as necessary but the beauty with this technique is that you can have different layer routers in each column with different effects so even though it would affect the whole composition, you still retain creative flexibility.

You could do the same to disable effects on layers by applying the effects to the various layer routers that target individual layers. Take a look at my sample file in this post viewtopic.php? f=5&t=11287. Then once again you could use the keyboard map and assign keys to blind the varous layer routers.

Note that if you use the effects on the individual layers, you'll be able to use any effect since there is a blackout between the sources and targets.