Clip "load" question

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jimib
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Clip "load" question

Post by jimib »

Hi All,

Ok, say I have a 2 min clip and i'm only using 4 different 30 sec clips from that in separate columns, that I have edited the in and out via resolume. Does the program still "load" the whole 2 min clip or just my edited portion?

In other words for the best results in Resolume should I pre-edit (more work) the clips or is it efficient to use a longer clip and edit the in and out in resolume?

Thanks Jimi B

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Clip "load" question

Post by Joris »

The length of the clip makes no difference to Resolume. There is no performance gain between either loading one long clip 4 times and trimming it, or loading 4 shorter separate clips.

Only the thumbnail will be different when you pre-edit.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Jimib, the main advantage to doing the 'edit' work that you describe in Resolume is that you can make changes on the fly rather than have to re-render your media over and over. If you haven't already, make sure you take advantage of the keyboard shortcuts I & O that let you set your In and out points in the timeline based on playhead position. Also, when you click on the the playhead, you can enter the exact position you need MM:SS:MS where MS is in milliseconds.

Joris, when you click on the playhead arrows, it would be great if the increment could be one frame rather than 40 milliseconds.

Another way to do what you are doing is to use the layer router. You would set the duration of the various layer routers to the lengths you need and set the the autopilot feature to play the next clip. Take a look at the attached comp.
Layer router as clip control.avc
(56.05 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
I used the Orange-Strings-07_720p_DXV video clip available for download at: http://resolume.com/gfx/dxv/OrangeStrings_720p_DXV.zip.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

MM:SS:MS where MS is in milliseconds.
It's MM:SS:FF. The last number is in frames. Setting it to 14.45 on a 30 fps clip will result in showing frame 15.15.
it would be great if the increment could be one frame rather than 40 milliseconds
Yes. It's working on a percentage of the total length actually. On longer clips this mostly results in 1 frame increments, but it should indeed be frame accurate.

It just so happens that Tim was getting himself stuck in the increment bees nest anyway for percentual, integer and float sliders, so I'll just throw this on his plate as well.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Joris,

It seems that I'm getting both formats on different clips (both DXV)
HH:MM:SS:MS where MS is MS, and HH:MM:SS.FF where FF is the frame by using '.' instead of ':'

For instance the Orange String file is SS.FF where as another clip I'm using is SS:MM.
FF clip.png
MS clip.png
Any thoughts?

Joris

Post by Joris »

Ah yes, when the clip has audio, the number is in millis.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Joris, this is good to know.

Also if I remove the audio track from the clip, it switches to MM:FF automatically

jimib
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by jimib »

Thanks Oaktown,

The layer router tip was the shizzles!

Jimi B