XY Pad on TouchOSC

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
movebandit
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

XY Pad on TouchOSC

Post by movebandit »

Hey there,
im surprised that theres no way to change the osc mapping. What i wanna do: Use a XY-Pad in touchosc and control 2 different parameters in Resolume (For Example Effect Opacity and another relevant Parameter) But in Touchosc i get only that /X and /Y Parameters out. Im pretty new to OSC, so could anybody help ?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: XY Pad on TouchOSC

Post by Oaktown »

My understanding is that XY pad can only control OSC commands that require 2 float values (such as mapping points in Millumin) but all the Reolume OSC commands are one float value so it takes one OSC command for X and one for Y.

If you want to use an XY pad to control two unrelated Resolume parameters, you should look at Luminair where you can program XY pads that send 2 DMX values. That means all you'd have to do is use the default DMX channels of the parameters you want to control in Resolume but you can also create your own DMX map for each composition if you want better control. Just don't forget to turn the default DMX map off or it gets confusing.

movebandit

Post by movebandit »

OK.So the only way to do that is by Artnet... but i love the Handling,Feel and Look of Touchosc. Is there any small tool to do a OSC remapping ? So I want split the XY Float Values to seperate Parameters, that Arena understands....Found several tools like this for Midi, but none for OSC.

hookerbot

Post by hookerbot »

You could do this with a processing patch. Its been a while since I messed with osc but the commands would look roughly like this
Coming into patch
/1/xy .8322 .3392
Coming out of patch
/1/x .8322
/1/y .3392
The processing code would basically just be read into an array, split the array elements, bypass if it doesn't have multiple floats. Sorry I don't have time right now to either explain better or actually code it up for you.

beatfix
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by beatfix »

You can also use the TouchOSC MIDI bridge and do it over MIDI instead of OSC. I ended up doing this with my patch, because it also allows things like touch on/off as MIDI notes.

TBH I've gotten frustrated with OSC in Resolume, to the point of mostly moving on from it, at least until a new implementation is worked out. Too many bugs and odd behaviors, especially when 2-way communication is enabled.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The problem with Open Sound Control is the 'Open' part. It leaves the exact implementation up to each developer.

The choice by Rob Hexler to use a float array ( a combined structure of x, y and optionally z data ) for the XY pads is of course a valid one. OSC is open, so he can do it any way he likes.

It does make it harder for developers to implement a standard way of working with OSC. Basically it means that every one needs to write specific support for Hexler's XY pad version of OSC. That's not such a biggie if you're doing your own custom OSC installation. When you're making a software that needs a standard way to work with any parameter, it becomes trickier.

VDMX bit the bullet a while back, and implemented a specific mode that lets you map 2D XY position controls to a TouchOSC XY pad. We could do the same for XY position controls. We could for instance make a specific OSC address like ..../video/position/xy/values which would accept Hexler's float arrays.

That of course wouldn't help you assigning each dimension to an arbitrary parameter, which is what OP wants to do. For that, it would be better if Rob would just give the option to send each dimension out separately. X and Y ( and optionally Z ) would be then be available as 3 single floats.
Too many bugs and odd behaviors, especially when 2-way communication is enabled.
Yup. We suffer from the same open-ness problem. Coming up with a good implementation of OSC that allows each and every user the freedom to use it in all the possible ways that it can be used, is almost a bigger task than making Resolume itself. We're working on it though, and hopefully we can make some progress once the basic structure of Res 5 is complete.

movebandit

Post by movebandit »

Switched to Lemur now. Here i can define a Single Parameter for every axis.....