Recommendations for LED stage divided in 2 parts

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Leo

Recommendations for LED stage divided in 2 parts

Post by Leo »

Hi guys,

Could you please give some recommendation about what could be a good composition setup to a stage similar to this one?

I was thinking about 9 layers, being 3 for the bottom part in the front of the DJ, 3 for the background and other 3 that use booth parts at the same time.

Does it make sense? How to do it?

Many thanks!

Leo
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 9815 times

Leo

Re: Recommendations for LED stage divided in 2 parts

Post by Leo »

36 views so far and nobody can give some advice?

I could do using slices, but doesn't really work since distort the images and clips... I also tried crop, but somehow hide the other layers...

PS: First LED is 4x2m and the other one is 4x1m if helps...

:?:

Thelooca
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Thelooca »

You could use 3 slices. Make the slices output fit the different screenparts. Change the input of each slice so the complete composition is spread over the complete screen. I'm assuming your content is 1:1, if not, you have to choose to distort your image or to lose a bit of your composition on both sides. In the output picture i've put black lines between the screens to make it more clear, normally there is no need to seperate them like that.

btw: most led-screens have hardware that already does this.

Hope my explanation is a bit clear...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Leo wrote:36 views so far and nobody can give some advice?

I could do using slices, but doesn't really work since distort the images and clips... I also tried crop, but somehow hide the other layers...

PS: First LED is 4x2m and the other one is 4x1m if helps...

:?:
if you keep the slice aspect ratio the same in Input Section and Output Transformation they should not be distorted. (4:2 and 4:1 for the slices should work)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

Weird... I will have a similar setup in like 30 days.
In my stage we will have a LED panel composition of 4 x 6 meters, meaning it is not exctly the standard video format ; )
Also there´s this front panel displaced, close to the DJ.
So what are my plans?
For customized graphics for this specific gig, I will consider the proportion in meters and convert this proportion to a template size based on pixels (square pixels aspect), close to the pixel resolutions my system keeps on running within its confort zone. And I will do that twice, for each panel. The BG and the DJ front panel.

My current question is how those different panels are connected? Are they considered two different devices or one? Are they over one another or are they considered as an expansion?
Do you have this info?
Each way have different setup solutions.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

I just got the info that usually the panels work like an extension of each other, so I am considering the front panel as a pixel position below the position of the BG panel, phisicaly and also in my composition.
I see in your image that there´s a lack of panels behind the DJ. Exactly the the ones used in front of him. In that case, there´s no extension - it is all the very same image at a video resolution and proportion of 4:3, as it seems.
Either case, yours or mine, I would use two slices only.
1. Will fit the entire composition and will be routed to the entire composition.
2. Will fit only the DJ front panel and will be routed to a single layer, since I can´t set a couple of layers for a slice.
Slice two layer must be the one on top - allways - otherwise it will be covered by the overall composition imagery.

There´s another solution so you will be able to mix some content on the front panel as well.
Create a bigger composition. Design all front panel content to be positioned below the BG panel in the composition canvas. You can work it with two or three slices:
1. Will fit the bg panel and will be routed to the entire composition;
2. Will fit the front panel only and will be routed to the entire composition;
That way you can use 3 layers for each part and they will never get over each other.
3. Will fit the entire composition and will be routed to the entire composition/or the top layer. This should be on top and be used only when it is necessary, meaning you want all the same content.

Paulo

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It's interesting to see how people jump to custom content and layer to slice routing, when confronted with something which is not 4:3 shaped :)

It's actually very easy to mix your own content on panels like this. In fact, it's what we make Resolume for.

Just keep your regular composition size and load all your regular clips. Keep 1 or 2 layers as they are, you can use these to mix on the background.

Take another 1 or 2 layers and scale these so they cover the top 2/3rds of your comp. Just scale them down to around 66% and position them up along the Y axis. This way your content will not get distorted.

For the bottom panel, take another 1 or 2 layers. Scale them down to 66% as well and position them so their center is 1/3rd from the bottom. You'll need to use a crop effect to cut off the part that would appear on the back panel. This will cause you to lose parts of your content, but that can't be helped with screens of this shape. You can still play DJ names fine on it.

This way your comp is ready to go. Layer 1/2 cover the whole screen, layer 3/4 only show up on the back panel, layer 5/6 only on the front panel. Of course you can use more or less layers for each group. The principle is the same.

In the advanced output, all you need to do is take a slice which covers the center of the comp in a 3x4 aspect ratio, and is scaled to fit the input of the led processor. Depending on the processor setup, you might need two slices for each panel, but for such a simple setup, I think 1 slice will work just fine.

So all the magic happens in the composition! Hope that makes things a bit simpler for you guys and that you can focus on VJ'ing instead of coming up with elaborate output setups or making all your content custom.

Btw, I'm guesstimating the 66%, you'll need to eyeball this yourself. Just make sure your back panel layers cover the entire height of the back panel. A little might 'fall off' on the sides, it's hard to predict without knowing the pixel resolution of the screen.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

I don´t like routing. But I feel more confortable using slices and mapping than moving and scaling layers ; )
Don´t ask me why.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hmmm. Taking another look at the photo, the figures I gave might be further off than I thought. You might need to do some more cropping on the front panel, and maybe some inverted cropping on the back panel. Like I said, it's hard to judge from the info provided.

Either way, my advice to scale layers in the comp rather than the advanced output still stands ;)

Leo

Post by Leo »

Hi guys!

Thank you very much for all the comments! I still couldn't try at the venue, but I'll get back here as soon I do it.

Cheers! :mrgreen: