PNGs crashing Arena?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
synapse_gh
Is taking Resolume on a second date

PNGs crashing Arena?

Post by synapse_gh »

Hi folks,

Using 4.1.11 on a MBP 15" Retina, I find the following error:

1. Open Arena with new show file.
2. Drag in 10-12 PNGs. If I drag in more than 5-10 at once, Arena crashes.
3. Drag in 5 PNGs at a time, most run fine.
4. A small percentage of the PNGs produce the error shown in the attached image.
5. If I remove the PNG causing this error, and then drag it back into a clip slot by itself, Arena crashes.

So, there's obviously something about a few of these PNGs that Arena really doesn't like. Can anyone help me to understand what that might be?

All PNGs in question are created in Photoshop and include an alpha channel, but are non-interlaced.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 2.48.09 PM.png

synapse_gh

Re: PNGs crashing Arena?

Post by synapse_gh »

A little more testing shows that large image files are most likely to cause this result.

Is there a maximum recommended size of image to be used in Arena?

Generally I'm finding that images up to around 3000x3000 have no problem, images larger than that are more likely to crash Arena the larger the files get.

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I think you are running out of memory.
3000x3000 24 bit /pixel png-s are large when uncompressed.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Looking at the pic you posted, your composition is 1920x1080 when the png file loaded in your clip is almost 7000x7000 and your scale is set to 9.42% so it looks like your trying to size a very large image down to fit into your composition, is that correct?

If you do a little search, there are quite a few posts on pngs and memory but the jest of it is that resolume is a 32-bit software and large png files are pretty taxing on the system so if you've a deck loaded with a bunch of really large png files you're bound to experience performance issues.

Are you zooming in on this type of png file to a point where you'd need to use a 6821x6798 file? If not, I would downsample these files to fit your composition better.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

synapse_gh wrote:A little more testing shows that large image files are most likely to cause this result.

Is there a maximum recommended size of image to be used in Arena?

Generally I'm finding that images up to around 3000x3000 have no problem, images larger than that are more likely to crash Arena the larger the files get.

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks!
DR and I have stopped using PNGs awhile ago, the transition aspect has been fixed with 4.1.9 but because of crashing and inability to properly fade alpha we normally used JPGS with automasks as a standard. Anything over 2500x2500 feels like a gamble when adding files minutes before a show.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

.. inability to properly fade alpha we normally used JPGS with automasks as a standard.
i think what you are referring to was fixed in 4.1.11 (or.10)

7000x7000 png with alpha image is 374 MB uncompressed, resolume uses about 600 MB ram for the program itself, so 5of those pngs and the 2GB ram is maxed out and crash.

when you made the zooming and panning to the image you can make a screenshot with Contril+Shift+p it is imported then to layer1s first empty slot. then you can delete the source png from the composition.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

synapse_gh

Post by synapse_gh »

All sorted and stable, just curious what the source of the issue was.

Thanks folks!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

ravensc wrote:
.. inability to properly fade alpha we normally used JPGS with automasks as a standard.
i think what you are referring to was fixed in 4.1.11 (or.10)

7000x7000 png with alpha image is 374 MB uncompressed, resolume uses about 600 MB ram for the program itself, so 5of those pngs and the 2GB ram is maxed out and crash.

when you made the zooming and panning to the image you can make a screenshot with Contril+Shift+p it is imported then to layer1s first empty slot. then you can delete the source png from the composition.
Proper Alpha Transition Crossfade was introduced in 4.1.9, which was actually a massive release under the hood. 4.10 and 4.11 are hot fixes for little bugs that snuck under the radar, altho there was a alpha transition glitch with certain blend modes.