Can I trigger multiple clips via SMPTE?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Can I trigger multiple clips via SMPTE?

Post by gabonacorp »

Hi everybody,

I have a show where I have 5 outputs with 5 different layers rooted. I use column trigger and it works well until now. I have to sync the start to SMPTE so I used Qlab what accepted the SMPTE and send an OSC command to Arena when the time comes.

But in this case I have only the trigger in my hand, after it the clips doesn't syncronize to the timecode, so for example at rehersal we can not pause and continue the playback, everybody have to start everything from the beginning because of me.

The clips in Arena can use the timecode only if they are selected but in this case I have to fire 5 different clips at the same time, all of them are using the same SMPTE, their lenght is exactly the same, etc.

If I select multiple clips I can not change the transport type. What you think, can I manage this somehow, do you have ideas for this issue?

Thanks for any help,

Andras

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Can I trigger multiple clips via SMPTE?

Post by Zoltán »

gabonacorp wrote: The clips in Arena can use the timecode only if they are selected but in this case I have to fire 5 different clips at the same time, all of them are using the same SMPTE, their lenght is exactly the same, etc.
works for me.
select clips individually, set transport type to smpte, launch them and they are all synced on start/stop restart.

edit:
kep
kep
smpte.png (21.62 KiB) Viewed 7653 times
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

Hi Zoltan, I am from Hungary too :) how small the world is, isn't it?

Yes, if the clips are already plays then they can be syncronized by smpte, but the main question for me is how to trigger all the clips via smpte timecode at the sme time. If I select a clip than I can set the start timecode for trigger so I can use the incoming LTC to trigger my clip which is needed in my case because The media playback should be sync with all the other showtwchnical element (lighting, sound, pyrotechnics, etc.)

My theoretial method would be this:

- 2 sec before trigger timecode time Qlab send OSC command to select all the 5 clips
- when the signal comes all 5 clips starts to play and they syncing for the timecode

Other question what cames up in my mind that now I can set timecode mode to a clip only if I have a valid timecode. Usually I set up everything in my office for the show weeks before the date and in this case I need a valid timecode during the programming session which usually I don't have. Can I ask what is the reason for this limitation?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

gabonacorp wrote:Hi Zoltan, I am from Hungary too :) how small the world is, isn't it?

Yes, if the clips are already plays then they can be syncronized by smpte, but the main question for me is how to trigger all the clips via smpte timecode at the sme time.
If I select a clip than I can set the start timecode for trigger so I can use the incoming LTC to trigger my clip which is needed
edit: I see what you mean,
but resolume will not trigger anything on smpte, you have to trigger clips yourself, or software.
your clip will start playing if timecode is valid for the clips' setting.
/edit
in my case because The media playback should be sync with all the other showtwchnical element (lighting, sound, pyrotechnics, etc.)
My theoretial method would be this:

- 2 sec before trigger timecode time Qlab send OSC command to select all the 5 clips
- when the signal comes all 5 clips starts to play and they syncing for the timecode
Yes, that could work,
other solutions would depend on the timecode source, do you get a continous timecode, or just during songs?
anyway, if you can setup the timecode there is the possibility to have the 5 layers videos rendered in one clip for the entire show, with some black frames between the clips, and setup the timecode track on a multi track player to continue the timecode from the position of the black frames.
Or if the timecode runs continously during the show, then adjust the pre rendering accordingly.
Or you can have the timecode playing on a separate layer, and the other equipment gets the sync from resolume output.
gabonacorp wrote: Other question what cames up in my mind that now I can set timecode mode to a clip only if I have a valid timecode. Usually I set up everything in my office for the show weeks before the date and in this case I need a valid timecode during the programming session which usually I don't have. Can I ask what is the reason for this limitation?
I can set the transport to smpte without having a valid input, of course the clips don't play.
you can generate your own timecode with soundforge or cubase. write that to a cd, or something and plug it into the computer.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu