Arena 4.1.11 - Randomly Crashes

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Leon
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Arena 4.1.11 - Randomly Crashes

Post by Leon »

Help Please Arena 4.1.11 Randomly crashes

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Arena 4.1.11 - Randomly Crashes

Post by Zoltán »

some more info ?
what are you doing before the crash?
os version?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Leon

Post by Leon »

I am one of many USA costumers and I am highly frustrated at the performance of your software. I persuaded my boss to upgrade to Arena 4.1.11 and we have yet to made it through a show without crashing at least twice. I have converted all of our content from the dxv codec to the new dxv 2.2 codec and replaced all images with png files and we still manage to crash. The 2 issues that irritate me the most are once the program crashes it is nearly impossible to force quit the program without having to restart the computer. The other issue is when I add content to deck1 and I make a change to it or delete it. That change modifies other content in another deck2. To make a long story short I am asking what do I need to do on my side to fix these problems. Also, Is there a 64bit version of the program available and finally do you have a toll free number that your USA costumers can call when they need assistance. Thanks in advance. Leon Milligan,CTS.

Here are my system specs:
System is upgraded from resolute 3 to Arena 4.1.11
intel core i-5-2500k cpu
3.3ghz
32gb ram
Window 7 professional 64bit
2 - 1TB HD @ 7200 rpm
Blackmagic Designs Intensity Pro Card
2 - AMD 1gb Radeon HD 6850 output cards

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Crashing resolume could be due to running out of memory, which can happen if you have a lot clips in a single deck. Even with dxv and png, there will be a clip limit. Large resolution png-s consume the most resources.
The solution for this is to cut/paste the second half of your deck to another.(and downsize unnecessarily large png-s to the resolution the will be displayed in the output)
Use a memory viewer tool to monitor arena memory usage. Around 2 GB RAM usage it will crash.

have a look at the User\AppData\Roaming\Resolume\Resolume Arena 4 log.txt why it crashes,
or better, send a feedback from resolume directly via Preferences-Feedback check include log file,
Devs will reply as soon as they can.
once the program crashes it is nearly impossible to force quit the program without having to restart the computer.
You could try to launch a new instance of arena, and leave the crashed instance in background.
when I add content to deck1 and I make a change to it or delete it. That change modifies other content in another deck2.
Deleting one deck/-s content should not affect other decks, and I have experienced no such problems .
Maybe you are modifying on layer level ?
Layers and their effects and settings are the same for each deck, think of a deck as they were only loading clips into layers.
Is there a 64bit version of the program available
no there is only the 32 bit version.
Are you trying to use plugins from the version 3 resolume? maybe that can cause crashes too.
I am not using one of these but many people on the foum are having trouble with Blackmagic Designs cards.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Leon wrote: 2 - AMD 1gb Radeon HD 6850 output cards
What driver are you using. I had issues with AMD cards all over the place with my 7970.

Leon

Post by Leon »

Thank you all for your timely replies to my questions/system issues. I am currently using your advice to locate the root of our system problems. I will be back in touch to let you know the outcome of the results. Warm Regards, Leon Milligan

Leon

Post by Leon »

once the program crashes it is nearly impossible to force quit the program without having to restart the computer.
You could try to launch a new instance of arena, and leave the crashed instance in background.
I have tried that but the program will still not respond. I end up having to wait for the program to release it resources.
when I add content to deck1 and I make a change to it or delete it. That change modifies other content in another deck2.
Deleting one deck/-s content should not affect other decks, and I have experienced no such problems .
Maybe you are modifying on layer level ?
Layers and their effects and settings are the same for each deck, think of a deck as they were only loading clips into layers.
I will send a screen shot is the problem.
Is there a 64bit version of the program available
no there is only the 32 bit version.
Why?
Are you trying to use plugins from the version 3 Resolume? maybe that can cause crashes too.
I am just using Arena's plug-ins. Brightness and contrast and Vignette
I am not using one of these but many people on the foum are having trouble with Blackmagic Designs cards.
[/quote]
Has anyone found a solution to fixing the problem?
Last edited by Leon on Wed Sep 10, 2014 17:42, edited 2 times in total.

Leon

Post by Leon »

drazkers wrote:
Leon wrote: 2 - AMD 1gb Radeon HD 6850 output cards
What driver are you using. I had issues with AMD cards all over the place with my 7970.
I am using the AMD Catalyst Control Center 2013.1206 drivers.

mosu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mosu »

You are not alone here~!! same problem here!!
I just helped a night club to setup a VJ computer, so they bought a the highest level of 21.5" iMac and a AKAI APC40 with my recommend

iMac spec:
21.5-inch: 2.9GHz
Specifications
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory

Arena 4.1.11 is the only software installed after unboxed,
they said it crashed at least four times a night ,

so yesterday I went to the club and tried to find out what happen,
basically their comp has 5 decks and each deck contains about 2 layers x 70 columns (total 5 layers 3 of them are almost empty but few logos ) , all the video were codec with Photo-Jpeg bought from Resolume.

I found BPM beat looper caused the crash a lot,
so I turn all the clips into timeline mode, avoid any with BPM,
it still crashed but not that often.

I think maybe it is because there are too many clips in a deck ?
BUT they do need this much clips to get through a night 6 hours

so WHAT CAN I DO??

Leon wrote:I am one of many USA costumers and I am highly frustrated at the performance of your software. I persuaded my boss to upgrade to Arena 4.1.11 and we have yet to made it through a show without crashing at least twice. I have converted all of our content from the dxv codec to the new dxv 2.2 codec and replaced all images with png files and we still manage to crash. The 2 issues that irritate me the most are once the program crashes it is nearly impossible to force quit the program without having to restart the computer. The other issue is when I add content to deck1 and I make a change to it or delete it. That change modifies other content in another deck2. To make a long story short I am asking what do I need to do on my side to fix these problems. Also, Is there a 64bit version of the program available and finally do you have a toll free number that your USA costumers can call when they need assistance. Thanks in advance. Leon Milligan,CTS.

intel core i-5-2500k cpu
3.3ghz
32gb ram
2 - 1TB HD @ 7200 rpm

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

mosu wrote:You are not alone here~!! same problem here!!
I just helped a night club to setup a VJ computer, so they bought a the highest level of 21.5" iMac and a AKAI APC40 with my recommend

iMac spec:
21.5-inch: 2.9GHz
Specifications
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory

Arena 4.1.11 is the only software installed after unboxed,
they said it crashed at least four times a night ,

so yesterday I went to the club and tried to find out what happen,
basically their comp has 5 decks and each deck contains about 2 layers x 70 columns (total 5 layers 3 of them are almost empty but few logos ) , all the video were codec with Photo-Jpeg bought from Resolume.

I found BPM beat looper caused the crash a lot,
so I turn all the clips into timeline mode, avoid any with BPM,
it still crashed but not that often.

I think maybe it is because there are too many clips in a deck ?
BUT they do need this much clips to get through a night 6 hours

so WHAT CAN I DO??

Leon wrote:I am one of many USA costumers and I am highly frustrated at the performance of your software. I persuaded my boss to upgrade to Arena 4.1.11 and we have yet to made it through a show without crashing at least twice. I have converted all of our content from the dxv codec to the new dxv 2.2 codec and replaced all images with png files and we still manage to crash. The 2 issues that irritate me the most are once the program crashes it is nearly impossible to force quit the program without having to restart the computer. The other issue is when I add content to deck1 and I make a change to it or delete it. That change modifies other content in another deck2. To make a long story short I am asking what do I need to do on my side to fix these problems. Also, Is there a 64bit version of the program available and finally do you have a toll free number that your USA costumers can call when they need assistance. Thanks in advance. Leon Milligan,CTS.

intel core i-5-2500k cpu
3.3ghz
32gb ram
2 - 1TB HD @ 7200 rpm
Convert to DXV first.