MIDI map / cue point & transport problem

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mrlrs
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

MIDI map / cue point & transport problem

Post by mrlrs »

Hi all,

I recently started with Resolume, and experienced some mapping problems.
I searched the forum and found a similar topic about this bug in the cue point control, but apparently
that has been patched a while ago.

I mapped the cue points and transport (play, pause) controls to certain buttons. But when I push the button it looks like it give multiple inputs. When I trigger the first cue point (default Q), it automatically sets the last cue point (default Y).
A similar situation occurs when I push the play or pause button, it does not play nor pause but it jumps into Reverse mode and when I hold the button it jumps to Random playback mode.

I'm using the Resolume Arena 4.1.11 demo for Mac with the Hercules DJ Console MK2 as MIDI device.

What I've tried:
- Installed Hercules drivers;
- Cleared my MIDI mapping settings several times;
- Used Mini Monitor to check if the buttons don't give multiple signals;
- Tested it on Mac and Windows.

Hopefully someone can help me,
Thanks in advance,

Lars

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: MIDI map / cue point & transport problem

Post by Joris »

Are you sending Midi Notes or CCs?

The behaviour you describe sounds like you are sending CCs. If you send Notes instead, it will work as expected.

The idea is that theoretically you could assign a CC shortcut, via a rotary or fader, to a group of controls ( such as play backward, forward, pause and random ), and then choose a mode by adjusting your rotary.

But when your buttons send CCs instead of Notes, Resolume gets confused and thinks you are setting a rotary all the way up or down, when in fact you are pressing a button. This is why the control then jumps between random and play backwards.

mrlrs

Post by mrlrs »

Thank you for your quick reply!
It makes much more sense now.

I guess I'm sending CC's, I'm not sure.
MIDI Map options in the bottom left allow me to choose Channel, Mode and CC.

I cannot find an options for Notes. I assume this isn't something that can be solved with software, but has to do with the kind of controller?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Ah yes, you need to tell your Hercules to send the Notes instead of CCs, sorry if that wasn't clear. Most controllers have an editor application that allow you to change the configuration.

j4s0n.c
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by j4s0n.c »

Probably not an inexpensive DJ controller tho... I think you will have to use something like PureData between your controller and Resolume to translate the MIDI CCs into notes...

[ctlin]
| \
[swap]
| |
[noteout]

Good Luck!

mrlrs

Post by mrlrs »

Thanks guys.

You're right, the controller is not that great so the Hercules application does not have a function to change what MIDI it's sending.

I'm also new to PureData, but was able to recreate your sketch (3 objects and connected them as you had drawn) but that did not work. I then tried MidiTranslator and MidiPipe, and that did work but only for 1 MIDI signal at a time. So that means I would have to make a "converter rule" for every CC to convert it into a Note.

Maybe this is not the right forum to ask it, but do you happen to know if the PureData way would convert all CC's into Notes?

j4s0n.c

Post by j4s0n.c »

Yes. PureData will absolutely translate all or any. that was the most simple form of a patch to do just that. Really tho you might need some CC to stay CCs... so, you would use a [pack f f] with CC, value going into it, [route x y z...] where xyz are the CCs that you want to turn into notes. everything else will pass thru the last outlet, then take that and send it right thru [ctlout] object.

j4s0n.c

Post by j4s0n.c »

and you did select the proper midi input and output ports in PureData menu right?
put a [print] object after the [ctlin] and see if you get anything printing in the main puredata window when you push/turn something.