Need help to figure out this scaling transform

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
0x80
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Need help to figure out this scaling transform

Post by 0x80 »

I have build a composition in 1920x1080. Knowing that I would eventually have to project the thing onto a surface with a 2:1 aspect ratio I created a guide frame with a white marked at the top that I avoided in order to make my composition in 2:1 ratio. Something like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/816 ... sition.jpg

Now I created this 2:1 surface with two XGA beamers (2048x768). I have set things up with softedge and the testcard is looking good. But now I can't seem to figure out how to use my composition in a way that things are scaled correctly :shock: If you look at the image, I basically want to have the green area projected without the white.

After configuring up the mapping with a full resolution composition, do I then also switch my composition from 1920x1080 to 2048x768? How do I scale the content? Do I need to adjust each layer?

The only way I found is to enable the width and height in the layer and changing those values, but I'm not sure what I'm doing is the correct approach.

Can someone please enlighten me?

0x80

Re: Need help to figure out this scaling transform

Post by 0x80 »

AAaaaah I figured it out! The answer was in the input mapping. Of course :oops: I followed the soft edge tutorial video, but I had to still adjust the inputs to match the different screen ratio. 8-)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

0X80, ff you're doing a 2:1 projection surface with two XGA projectors then the resulting image would be 1536x768 not 2048x768 and your blending area would be 512 pixel wide.

To get your current comp which is 1920x1080 to be 2:1, you'll need to go resize to 1920x960 so you have to lose 120 pixels to make it fit (60 top & bottom or 120 top or 120 bottom) then you can scale down to 1536x768 or you can directly resize your comp to 1536x768.

Take a look at one of my posts to get the specifics: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11410&hilit=+blend#p46009

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Sorry, I got busy with my boys while replying to your post so I missed the fact you'd already figure it out!

0x80

Post by 0x80 »

Thanks anyway Oaktown. I did figure it out, sort of. There was still a lot of trial and error involved and a small part of my composition sides were cut off. So next time I will use your advise and try to do it properly.

The way I did it now was to create a full width composition like in the Resolume tutorial video. Then set that up with correct mapping. After that load my composition and adjust the input mapping again manually to get the correct aspect ratio back. I'm sure calculating things beforehand would have made it a lot easier, but I got away with it this time 8-)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Glad it all worked out for you :-)

I always start doing the math on paper to make sure everything will line up perfectly in real life but that's force of habit.