Send OSC Label Text (ie. clip name, link name)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
moldywood
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Send OSC Label Text (ie. clip name, link name)

Post by moldywood »

Pretty sure this doesn't exist, but just wanted to make sure i wasn't overlooking anything.

Basically I'm trying to modify some TouchOSC templates. When using my iPad for control, i'd find it easier to be able to read the text of what clip i'm about to select, or which effect/parameter/link i'm about to adjust rather than just generic numeric terms. This involves using the "label" function in TouchOSC and changing the text (example: /1/label1 "text"). I don't think the names/labels in resolume have any OSC code attached to them.

I'm currently using Resolume 4.1.6; was this ability to transmit labels/names added to a more recent version? If not, is there any other way of going about this, or am i stuck to memorizing what each link#, fx#, etc in my TouchOSC template relates to?

I also have MaxMSP and Mira, so building a new template in the Mira environment is possible if it adds the ability to do this (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't)

thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Send OSC Label Text (ie. clip name, link name)

Post by Joris »

Clip names are being sent out, but for FX and Dashboard dials this is not currently possible. We do have some ideas on how to improve this for Res 5.x but that doesn't really help you now.

But if you link a TouchOSC control to a certain parameter, I would assume you know to what effect you're assigning it. Couldn't you just name the label yourself while you're preparing the template?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

But if you link a TouchOSC control to a certain parameter, I would assume you know to what effect you're assigning it. Couldn't you just name the label yourself while you're preparing the template?
Joris, considering every clip or layer can/will have different effects it would become a tedious job to create a controller that allows fine control of all the parameters in the composition.

So to make life a little easier, it'd be great to be able to just get the names of the effects that are loaded in Link 1-8 in active layer or active clip to make an self adjusting controller that can display the various names based on the current layer or clip.

That way, one could make a page 16 knobs that relate to active layer and clip and always know what effects are loaded in the Links. To relate to another open thread, this is why the Launchpad Control would be ideal if the 16 knobs were endless since it would allow to control the 8+8 links of active layer and clip and have them reset to the Link positions when layers and clips change.

Now I can see how that could become confusing is there is more than one effect loaded but it could be limited to the name of the first effect loaded into the Link or custom name which is the way it is in the GUI right now.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I understand that, Oaktown. This is exactly the sort of use we hope to improve for Res 5.x.

Moldywood does not mention that this is what he is after though. In fact, he mentions memorizing, which implies that each control would be tied to a fixed effect. In which case it's easy to just enter the labels manually.

moldywood

Post by moldywood »

could you direct me to the clip name osc formatting? is it /layer#/clip#/preview/label...? (that doesn't work for me, but is my most educated guess)

i could write in the labels manually, but that would involve changing the touchosc template everytime i reorder/create new links. this is a bit of a hassle. currently when performing and changing effects on the fly, I have to tell myself, "ok Link3 now means _____". but the answer to my original question is: no, currently the labels are not sent; which is fine, i just have to adjust my mindset to make this work for me.

i guess while i still have your attention, is saving a dashboard link (that contains multiple parameters from different fx) possible so I can quickly grab them from effect list (on the bottom right of the screen) and drop them onto any layer's link?

i've also created a quartz composer patch that takes an input video. is there anyway to bundle this up and put it in the vfx folder? just looking for a little direction here. currently i'm syphoning two screens: one has a single layer (going to QC) and the other has the rest of the layers. i then am able to merge the two syphon streams (one from QC, one from Arena) using Mad_Doubler, and used that combined syphon stream to go to mad mapper. Obviously taking out QC+Mad_Doubler would neaten my workflow, but i'm not familiar with a way to make .qtz into .bundle for vfx. just not familiar with this side of programming.

sorry for the tangent

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Here is what I get:
  • Active clip or layer (s=text string)
    • /activelayer/clip/name : <OSCVal s "nameofclip">
      /activelayer/name : <OSCVal s "nameoflayer">
    Specific clip or layer (s=text string)
    • /layerX/clipY/name : <OSCVal s "nameofclip"> - where X is the number of the layer and Y the number of the clip (in column #)
      /layerX/name : <OSCVal s "nameoflayer"> - where X is the number of the layer

Joris

Post by Joris »

is saving a dashboard link possible so I can quickly grab them from effect list
Yes. Dashboard links are saved when you save an effect preset: https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/effects#presets
but i'm not familiar with a way to make .qtz into .bundle for vfx
Using .qtz files as effects is not possible in Resolume.

moldywood

Post by moldywood »

Oaktown wrote:Here is what I get:
  • Active clip or layer (s=text string)
    • /activelayer/clip/name : <OSCVal s "nameofclip">
      /activelayer/name : <OSCVal s "nameoflayer">
    Specific clip or layer (s=text string)
    • /layerX/clipY/name : <OSCVal s "nameofclip"> - where X is the number of the layer and Y the number of the clip (in column #)
      /layerX/name : <OSCVal s "nameoflayer"> - where X is the number of the layer

nice. i don't understand the need for ": <OSCVal s "nameofclip">" when /layerX/clipY/name <text> , works for me... are we saying the same thing with different formatting?

however. this only seems to work from OSC > Arena and not the other way.

Is there a command (such as a bang in maxmsp) that i can send to make the label in OSC template change to reflect the newly imported clip? it seems when i import/change the name of the clip no data is sent through osc. i'm renaming the clip in the clip parameter/info window, does it need to be renamed somewhere else.

also it seems when i change the clip name in Arena, and then select another clip, thereby reverting the name-changed previously-"active" clip, back to a clip#, i can't change the name through sending OSC commands. the activeclip OSC labeling seems a little screwy, don't really like how it overrides the OSC channel of sending info to the "clip#" designation. Am i missing something?

also thanks joris for the info and link

shanekoss

Post by shanekoss »

just adding a plus one here. It's great to have the OSC functionality with Resolume - but a real bummer that the clip name comes from the source file (or generator) instead of the name given in the layer. Any plans on changing this? Having 8 "Solid Color" clips on the control surface isn't too helpful. :)

shanekoss

Post by shanekoss »

temporary solution if anyone else is looking at this. Make a layer just for clip names and insert something like a blank.png that you can name whatever you want so that it appears as desired on your surface.