Midi column trigger stops at 48? (B1)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
faderc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Midi column trigger stops at 48? (B1)

Post by faderc »

Hello, maybe its just me...

I have a video installation at a small local music festival ( SwampFest ) as I'm also doing FOH audio in the main room, I cant operate my installation*, so I've set up a large number of columns, and I'm using genome midi sequencer on my ipad to trigger the columns every minute or so.

My specific issue ( ;) ) is that when genome sends trigger C2 (=column 49) , column 1 in Arena is triggered instead.

This same behavior continues for the next notes as well, genome sends C#2, this should trigger column 50, but column 2 is triggered... If I use the same genome sequence to trigger a note in Logic, its plays the correct note, leading me to think this is an Arena thing?

Side note: Ive tried using logic via the IAC bus to trigger Arena, but this totally kills the frame rate, dropping it from 40 or 50 (fx depending) down to 16 or so...bleech.

Macbook pro 2.6ghz i7 / 10.8.6 / Arena 4.1.11
ipad 2 / ios 8.02 / genome midi sequencer.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Craig

*Its all generative sources inside Arena with fx etc, mapped on a space invader shape 3.6m x 3.6m, in 9 slices. Its not fancy, I'm an enthusiastic beginner!
researchintospeed. arena 7 something. hardware synths and drum machines #emotionaltechno

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Midi column trigger stops at 48? (B1)

Post by Oaktown »

Did you map the MIDI triggers from scratch?

What do you get when you check the MIDI notes in Resolume Column 1 and Column 49. Can you send a screenshot of both?

faderc

Post by faderc »

Howdy, yes from scratch manually, using external midi keyboard. I'm using the Composition Midi mapping.
Maybe I should check the Application Midi map as well...

Thanks
Craig
Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 4.03.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 4.03.17 PM.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 3.57.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 3.57.58 PM.png (19.09 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
researchintospeed. arena 7 something. hardware synths and drum machines #emotionaltechno

faderc

Post by faderc »

Sooo, I removed the Application Midi map assignments for the first 24 columns, and boom shakalaka, my columns above 48 trigger as expected...

So for the first 48 columns, the already set Application Map was over ridden by the composition Map, but at column 49, the Application Map took precedence...

So mostly solved, but still possibly unexpected behavior?

Thanks.
Craig

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Glad this got you on the right path. The two layers of mapping can get confusing and yield unexpected results in both MIDI and a DMX/Artnet so I always think it's best to start from 100% scratch.