Any way to map midi switches?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vjcharm
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Any way to map midi switches?

Post by vjcharm »

I am using Resolume 2.41 (not sure if this is any different in Avenue) but every midi controller seems to have buttons for "record","play","solo","mute" etc, these don't seem to be note values or controller values, is there anyway to map these in resolume? Thanks!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Any way to map midi switches?

Post by Oaktown »

Don't know about V2.41 but you can easily map these buttons in the new versions using the [Edit Composition Midi Map] or [Edit Application Midi Map] under the [Mapping] menu. After you've selected the right Midi setting in the Preferences, all you need to do is select which function you want to map the button to in Resolume and hit the button on your Midi controller.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Ok, now that is out of the way.

So i'm assuming your using a AKai mpd24. Those buttons are used to send commands to a remote control harddrive recording sysem. Most send a specialized messages via MMC or midi machine control. So 2.41 resolume is not going to understand that.

This is used when your producing music not when performing.

Can Jorvis confirm that Resolume 3/4 supports this? I didn't think it did, I never got those working in Res 3/4 but Oaktown has other experiences it seems. Maybe i just didn't enable the right functions.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I could be mistaken but my understanding is that any button on a midi controller send either a note or a CC signal, isn't that correct?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Oh man. If only...

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Oaktown wrote:I could be mistaken but my understanding is that any button on a midi controller send either a note or a CC signal, isn't that correct?
Akai and other drum related controls have special buttons to hook up to recording and send MMC signals not standard midi CC values. I thought for a second you had a sneaky way of changing them to CC values or a patch enabled MMC.

Your right on the standard controller but when you get into these Akai pads they do some pretty crazy stuff compared to the average controller.

vjcharm

Post by vjcharm »

It's actually a nanoKontrol2

http://www.korg.com/us/products/control ... okontrol2/

It's got some buttons for "Solo","Mute" and "Record" I love it because it is so small (although no back light) but darn I wish I could use those buttons for something.

BTW, for the record, Fatboy Slim used an Atari ST to record "You've Come a Long Way Baby". It's not about the technology, but how you use it.

vjcharm

Post by vjcharm »

Aha! I found this, it might do it

http://www.korg.com/jp/common/php/exten ... AA7HGZGU6Q

This image seems to be telling me that those buttons should be sending midi notes .... :?

vjcharm

Post by vjcharm »

Hey everyone, just a note to anyone interested, I did succesfully edit my nanoKontrol2 using the software provided by Korg. I was able to change all the control change to note changes, now I can assign the record button to actually record with resolume! Sweet.