Horizontal glitches on fullscreen display

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
tanakahawk
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Horizontal glitches on fullscreen display

Post by tanakahawk »

This problem literally popped up overnight between two of my shows. I have tested other Mac computers and can replicate the problem so I'm thinking its a Yosemite issue. I updated a month ago but havent noticed this problem until the other day, so it seems kind of random.

The problem seems to be a lot worse on flashing videos and when I add the strobe effect.

Video of problem here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn-vfm4 ... e=youtu.be

It only shows up in Fullscreen and Advanced display. I havent seen the problem happen in Windowed display.

I can get the same glitch in Finder about 50% of the time, its very inconsistent

The problem is worse when plugged into a projector but when I plug into an external monitor it goes away.

I have a show coming up this week and need to get this solved but I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot it. I've tried reseting PRAM, disabling Automatic Graphics Switching in Energy Saver Prefrences, re-exporting my original files, reinstalling resolume, and creating a new file. Nothing has had an effect. The only way I can get it to go away is to plug in a secondary monitor.

I dont think the issue is a corrupted video file because It works fine in Windowed display and when I plug in a secondary monitor.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Horizontal glitches on fullscreen display

Post by Joris »

This is screen tearing.

It happens when your monitor starts to draw the next frame, before having completely drawn the current frame.

Vsync is handled on the OS level, that's why you also occasionally see it in Finder.

When Resolume is running with a second monitor, we ask the system to sync to the secondary monitor, so what your audience sees doesn't tear. That's why you don't see it when a secondary monitor is plugged in and showing its own output ( ie not mirroring your desktop ).

tanakahawk

Post by tanakahawk »

Ahhh thank you Joris! Appreciate the response!

tanakahawk

Post by tanakahawk »

Finally fixed it. It was a Yosemite issue. I went back down to Mavericks and the screen tearing went away. Hopefully Apple does something about this, until then I guess Im sticking with Mavericks.

dun_panic
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dun_panic »

im having trouble with HDCP devices too, my mouse lags every 2-5 secs . Yosemite so much trouble :(