4 servers - how to split midi or OSC signal

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
joshuadmello
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

4 servers - how to split midi or OSC signal

Post by joshuadmello »

Hey guys,

I'm going to be running 4 resolume servers with 12 beamers to map a scale model of a small city.

I want to know how to sync to servers together so that when I trigger a clip on the first server (master) the same clip triggers on the other 3 (slaves). I will of course duplicate the decks on all the machines. I know that OSC doesnt work out of the box with the black screen issue. I've read on other posts about how we can possible split the MIDI signals? or use SMPTE to do this. I'm not sure how to go about doing this exactly.

I'm going to be using 4 windows machines with a triplehead in each of them.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: 4 servers - how to split midi or OSC signal

Post by Oaktown »

I would use a software like Vezer on a fifth computer like a MacBook Air with either OSC or Artnet. Setup the network on a Gigabit wired network and trigger all comps at the same time by using the computers' various IP addresses. With Vezer 1.4, you could do it using either a timeline or cues. If one of your computers is already a mac, you could use OSC and bypass the extra computer by running Vezer directly on it.

joshuadmello

Post by joshuadmello »

Thanks man!

But is there any way to do it without a Mac? Because it doesn't look like the client is going to increase the budget for an additional machine. They are looking at this as a permanent install. So they are going to be buying all the hardware.

Any idea how to go about it by splitting midi on windows?

Thanks

hookerbot

Post by hookerbot »

For a $0 solutions, (not counting programming time) check out pd http://puredata.info/ or processing or vvvv or some others. Workflow would probably be something like this-
midi to pd
pd takes command and "bang"s the command to 4 osc senders
resolume(s) listens for osc messages.
Processing and vvvv could operate in a similar way, but pd would be easier for me to setup, so its what I would recommend. I have conceptualized this and started a patch, but never finished since the need for it evaporated. Good luck

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Hey Joshuadmello, I am curious why you need to use 4 servers to run 12 projectors? From the sound of your first post, it sounds like you'd be running the same comp on all 4, correct? If you don't mind, let me ask you a few questions as there might be other approaches:
  • Have you already built the four servers and bought all the equipment?
    What are the details of your composition such as size, number of layers, etc...?
    What type of projectors are you using?

joshuadmello

Post by joshuadmello »

Hey Oaktown

Ok so here are my answers -

I was planning on using 4, but I could probably use 2 and 1 backup by connecting 2 tripleheads on each server to give me 12 outputs. I may need to add an additional projector in case 12 don't cover the entire area, but if that's the case I can always plug it in to one of the additional outs on the graphics card.

Servers havent been built yet.
Composition will be 5760x1080 (since the triplehead gives me 1920x3, I could also lower it a bit) and im looking at running 2-4 layers at the most.

As for the compositions, some clips will be the same on both servers and a few will be different because each server and the projectors connected to it will take care of mapping a different area of the scale model of the city. So I'm going to have to render my content from different angles and project it on the scale model (I'm attaching an image for your reference).

So I think the simplest way to do it would be to find a way to trigger the same clip on both servers at the same time? Let me know if there's another work around and what you think?

Also I was looking into Vezer, If you think that's an easier option, you think you could maybe link me to a tutorial on how to set the whole thing up? I can probably get the client to get us a macbook if I cut the windows servers down to 3.

Thanks!
Attachments
City Projectors.jpg

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

joshuadmello wrote:Hey Oaktown
Servers havent been built yet.
Composition will be 5760x1080 (since the triplehead gives me 1920x3, I could also lower it a bit) and im looking at running 2-4 layers at the most.

As for the compositions, some clips will be the same on both servers and a few will be different because each server and the projectors connected to it will take care of mapping a different area of the scale model of the city. So I'm going to have to render my content from different angles and project it on the scale model (I'm attaching an image for your reference).

So I think the simplest way to do it would be to find a way to trigger the same clip on both servers at the same time? Let me know if there's another work around and what you think?

Also I was looking into Vezer, If you think that's an easier option, you think you could maybe link me to a tutorial on how to set the whole thing up? I can probably get the client to get us a macbook if I cut the windows servers down to 3.

Thanks!
tripleheads will output 1920x1080 at 50hz! check your projectors if they support that refreshrate.

check the link in my signature, it is a windows program that would allow you to trigger multiple servers from one PC.

btw, that's a lot of projectors, what is the distance of the projectors to the model? what projectors will you be using?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

joshuadmello

Post by joshuadmello »

I only have a distance of 5.4 feet to project from.

So I'm using Panasonic PT DZ870 8500 lumens projectors with the ET DLE 030 ultra short throw lens.
The 2 projectors directly above it will be using the ET DLE 085 lens.

In case the projectors don't support 50hz.

I can drop the res down to 4800 x 900 (3 x 1600 x 900). Do you foresee this as being a problem?

joshuadmello

Post by joshuadmello »

Just checked the site. Looks like it does support 50hz.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/prod ... tions.html

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

If your client is buying 12 HD Panasonic projectors, and 12 of the most expensive lens they've ever made surely they can stretch to a Mac as well?!

Looks like a great project.