Mixing layers, luma keying

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Raydiant Visuals
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Mixing layers, luma keying

Post by Raydiant Visuals »

Hello all -

I have been playing around with Res 4.x for the last few weeks, wanting to transition to it from GrandVJ, which I have been using for the last 5 years. I really like most of what I can do in Resolume much better than what is available with GVJ, but there are a few things I've yet to be able to replicate, and sine I've come to rely on this style of mixing, it's really holding me back from being able to use it for a show.

So, I'm hoping some experienced users here can give me some advice.

I am trying to mix several layers with luma keying. In GVJ I am used to being able to specify the luma I want to mask out, and then specify the threshold/softness from that luma. In Resolume I can only pick a threshold above or below which everything is masked out, and even then I can't figure out how to feather (threshold) the blend on either side of the luminance selected. For example, what if I need to mask out only 47% luminance, and have the mask feather (Threshold/Softness) out to +/- 5% to make it a little softer? How can I do this in Resolume 4.2?

When using the Chroma Key mode in Resolume, I can specify the hue threshold and hue softness and get really nice blending, but I can't figure out how to do this with Luma Keying, and it's driving me nuts! I've read the manual several times, watched all the tutorials, and spent hours playing with the program, and still can't get results similar to what I have been doing for years in GVJ.

The effects and overall useability of Resolume is so much better, I really want to start using it in shows, so if anyone can give me some advice on this issue I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Ray

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Mixing layers, luma keying

Post by Joris »

Since we came out with DXV in 2009, we've always figured pre-rendered alpha channels to be the way to go when you want good looking transparency. Luma keying is always going to be a compromise, even with added params for spit shining the fringes.

We do have the AutoMask effect, which pulls a pretty decent mask from most black backgrounds, and the contrast param gives some options for tweaking.

We could spend an afternoon making a luma key effect with threshold and softness params. What does the forum say?

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Joris wrote:We could spend an afternoon making a luma key effect with threshold and softness params. What does the forum say?
I've only needed it a couple times, but those params would be nice to have for live inputs and last minute content hand-offs from artists.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Joris wrote: We could spend an afternoon making a luma key effect with threshold and softness params. What does the forum say?
I always welcome new features. :)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

That would be a nice addition for my Live shots. +1

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

+1, that would be a nice feature for sure.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

+1 would be useful in random moments,