Crashes using JPEGS

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Farmsm
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Crashes using JPEGS

Post by Farmsm »

Using 4.2 on a 2014 Mac Pro, AMD FirePro D700 graphics pushing mostly JPEGS over 5 outputs at 7680x1080. I had real problems with 4.1 crashing unexpectedly and was hoping that 4.2 would eliminate that issue.

Unfortunately, 4.2 still crashes randomly. I can be sitting in a single layer widescreen JPEG and the program just quits. I don't see anything in the log file to indicate a cause, but I hope that this issue can be fixed.

I like the program and it works well for our situation, but I can't continue using it if it is unreliable.

Cheers,
Steve Farmer
CMIav

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Resolume 4.2 Released - Smoother and Faster

Post by drazkers »

Resolume Shouldn't be using JPGs you should try to use PNG's, with RGB not YUV.

Your problem is the files being used. If you want the best performance, convert the images to a single frame DXV3 file.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Crashes using JPEGS

Post by Joris »

Sorry to hear that Resolume is crashing during show!

Crashes occurring randomly during regular use are mostly caused by using incompatible codecs and/or memory problems.

We highly advise to use .mov files with our own DXV codec. Any other file format, including .png and .jpg stills, Resolume needs to store in the computer's memory in their entirety In order to trigger these files quickly and accurately.

Resolume is a 32 bit application, which means it can only access 3GB of RAM, regardless of how much memory you have available on your computer. Especially if you are using high resolution unoptimized files, you can reach this limit awfully fast.

We are working on a 64 bit version of Resolume, but in the meantime, you have two options to keep Resolume from crashing:

1. Convert all your files to DXV encoded Quicktime movies. Including stills to 1 frame .mov files.
When using our own DXV codec, we can handle memory usage much better. This means you'd be pretty much unlimited in the amount of files you can load.

2. Use less unoptimized files per deck. How many depends on the resolutions of the
files used and your composition resolution. A safe margin is around 40 files of 1920x1080. After this, just switch to a new deck if you want to load more files.

When keeping an eye on these limits, Resolume works fine with both JPGs and PNGs, and both RGB and YUV color spaces.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Joris wrote: When keeping an eye on these limits, Resolume works fine with both JPGs and PNGs, and both RGB and YUV color spaces.
I wanna jump in because I might be remembering some poor info or outdated info. For some reason I thought Resolume liked PNG's and YUV sometimes caused issues. Was this something back in Resolume 3? I remember having to manually convert PNG's from YUV to RGB on abunch of shows afew years back. Might of been machine specific as this was when i was just switching to Resolume.

Thanks for the heads up and setting me straight :)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Oh, don't get me wrong, it could very well be there is or was some colorspace problem with a file format. In general, RGB is the way to go, because that's what we convert to internally as well.

Either way, OP's problem is almost certainly a memory issue, and won't be solved by using JPGs instead of PNGs or vice versa.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Steve, are you using 7680x1080 JPG files in your comp?

I do a lot of big comps (4K on up) and whenever I get random crashes it almost always comes from 1) having stills that are big (I always use PNGs by the way) or 2) having too many still clips loaded in the same deck.

With the new DXV3 codec, now you can render your pics as DXV3 MOV files and that should take care of most of your problems. I say most because I don't know what else you may have in your comp that could cause issues.

Take a look at this post that has a link to a PNG and the same rendered as a DXV3 MOV file using Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11943#p48997

Note that Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014 rendered as a 5-second file rather than a one frame but even though the DXV3 file is 70 times the size of the PNG it's less taxing on your system.

Also, last but not least, I find that my systems are much more prone to crashing when I use AMD GPUs rather than NVIDIA GPUs and my new card of choice is the new GTX980. I know this is part of different conversation but it's worth mentioning.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Quick update to my last post: I just added a one-frame DXV3 to the folder "TAVERN (One Frame High Quality with Alpha).mov".

Make sure you pause the clip playhead at the end or else you'll end up with a black clip.

Kaizen
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Kaizen »

This has been driving me INSANE!!

Does anyone have any programs/tips for BATCH converting .JPG to .DXV

Thanks!

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

On a mac, Compressor