Embedded audio issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Embedded audio issue

Post by cvanhoose »

I am having an issue:

DXV3 clip added, then WAV file linked to the clip.
multiple copies of the same video added to more layers, then delete the audio track from the clip.
Column trigger.
the clips have different timing now.

They will not play in sync. My work around for now is to use the layer router, or i could just volume down the other clips.

Thanks in advance!

files rendered out in AE cs6

CVH

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Embedded audio issue

Post by Oaktown »

Are you using the same transport mode on all clips and if it's the timeline mode do they all have the same speed (1?)

If you are using a different soundtrack in your composition, I would remove the soundtrack from the clip altogether and just use the video part.
cvanhoose wrote:My work around for now is to use the layer router, or i could just volume down the other clips.
Layer Router: why would you want to play the same clip on multiple layers when you can use the router?

Volume Down: I thought you were deleting the audio tracks and if you are not using them just create a video only clip in AE

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

also check your composition speed slider -right click to set to default - because video and audio files get out of sync, if the video file has no audio track playing, and the comp speed is not 1.
I wanted to send a bug report about this, but never came around to.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

Test yourself:
Add a DXV3 High quality clip with no audio:
The total time in the timeline differs from the actual clip info.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.32.44 AM copy.png
When the matching audio is added (WAV file)
the time corrects.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.33.11 AM copy.png
AE CS6 renders from the same comp and timeline.

factory install with defaults, results in the same issue.

Its not by much but enough to throw off a column trigger after a couple loops.

Thanks in advance

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

As I found out myself in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11305&hilit=timeline+joris#p45415 when a clip has no audio, the time is shown in FPS (HH:MM:SS:MS) rather than milliseconds (HH:MM:SS:MS) and it doesn't show the decimals which means 1:36:972 in MS is equal to 1:36 + 972*23.98/1000=23.30856 FPS or 1:36.23 when you rounddown.

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

Nice discovery, I did not see that post on my research, thank you.
I thought because one had audio, but you are right, the math adds up.......
Upon further testing, it seems that it is maybe the column trigger not triggering them in sync.
I am IN show right now and did a quick test on my MBP retina. Similar setup to the show on a small scale.
I have no transitions timing set for this test: (The show has timings, wish I could input a specific transition time)
Column triggered results in an out of sync video over a couple loops. Maybe its a load order?
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 12.19.49 PM.png

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

The issue could come from the fact that a frame is a frame and you can't have a partial frame, which would cause your two files to get out of sync a few milliseconds at every loop, So why don't you create a sound file that's exactly the same length as your video file? That would mean the decimal would be 0.959132610508757 rather than what you have. Let me know if that ends up solving your issue.

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

The audio was rendered from the same timeline as the video, so the timing is the same.
Take a look at my last post with the screenshot. Two videos are in sync(one with audio, one without) and one video out of sync(without audio). All column triggered with no transition timing.
This happens on both platforms. Extremely highly modified machines to push the pixels......

(head scratch)

Thanks for your input.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Yes but I'm assuming when you remove the audio from the file, the clip repeats at the end of the last frame which would be a few milliseconds before the audio file repeats since it's in milliseconds. Try moving the out marker in the audio file to be at 1:36.959 instead if 1:36.972 which would take the 13 milliseconds of length difference out of the equation. So see if you get the same loop sync issue that way.

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

Yes, That really throws it off.
The screenshot I posted above is showing 1 clip with the audio and 1 clip without the audio ----->SYNCED,
but one of the clips without the audio is losing its loop.
Here is the screenshot below:
Layer3= -1920 on the comp...far left
Layer2= 0 on the comp...center (this layer has the audio linked)
Layer1= 1920 on the comp...far right
Screenshot.png
thanks again