FPS fluctuation on 4.2.1 but not on 4.1.11

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Alvis_Cortex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

FPS fluctuation on 4.2.1 but not on 4.1.11

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

I had a gig last weekend and my FPS was fluctuating quite a lot even when I did not have much happening on my composition so I had a 10hs gig on Sat and Sunday and I was limited on how much I could do.

So today I tried to replicate the problem and for my surprise it is still happening even when there is nothing being played on my comp and after lots of tests it seems that the problem starts once I select an output - whether it is the 'Full Screen' or the 'Advanced Output' option on Arena.
If I have nothing being played on my comp the FPS jumps from 60 to 52 to 43 to 29 and back to 60 (loop) but If I disable the output the FPS goes back to 60 and it stays around there.

But the weird thing is that it only happens when I am using either Arena 4.2.1 or 4.2. Once I open the same comp with the same 'Advanced Screen Setup preset' in 4.1.11 it all works fine. I have no other apps running.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Setup:
MBP Late 2008
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8Gb
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M 512Mb
SSD
OSX Yosemite
DXV3

Alvis_Cortex

Re: FPS fluctuation on 4.2.1 but not on 4.1.11

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

No one facing a similar problem?

Or any suggestions on how to solve this?

Is it possible that my machine is the problem? even though I have a perfect composition running on 4.1.11?

Thanks

AdevProjects

Post by AdevProjects »

You could try turning vsync off in your graphics driver control panel. Im a windows user so I dont know how that would be done on OSX.

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

You could try turning vsync off
Thanks for your suggestion t13swift, I had never heard of Vsync before. It is called Beam Sync on a mac and it can be turned off using 'Quartz Debug'

I did try that and in a way it does work (I got an amazing 130FPS) but it causes screen tearing so it is not a feasible solution.

I would love to hear from the Resolume guys if they have any suggestions. I don't know what else to do to try to fix this. I will have to render all me library back to DXV2 and get stuck on 4.1.11.

Cheers

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We did do some work with VSync in the 4.2 release, primarily to try to improve problems people had on Mavericks.

To be honest, I don't know if and/or why that would cause problems for you.

On the other hand, you're working with a 7 year old laptop, so it could be that Apple's new drivers on Yosemite cause problems for that particular GPU. I'm actually surprised you can run Yosemite on that machine at all.

SystemD

Post by SystemD »

hello,

I have the same machine with 10.8.5 and i have noticed the same problems .