Help with pixel map (Rotation)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vjculture
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Help with pixel map (Rotation)

Post by vjculture »

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 12.50.41 PM.png
map-1_0726 at 1920x1080_3.jpg
Looking for some solutions for this pixel map. I need to rotate some of the slices in this map.
See attached are the input and output maps. I can rotate the output but, I need to rotate the input slice. (Or, is it the other way around)?
I know R5 might have this feature. Any suggestions

Thelooca
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Help with pixel map (Rotation)

Post by Thelooca »

I use a different layer with a 'layer router' input and then use the FR parameters effect on that layer tot rotate.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Help with pixel map (Rotation)

Post by Joris »

Like Theloca says, one way to cheat this in R4 is with Layer Routers.

For this particular setup, you'd need to pre-comp your comp output into two Layer Routers at the top of the layer stack. The first Router is used just to pre-comp the comp, and is routed directly to slices that don't need to be rotated.

The second Router is for the rotated tiles. Optionally use a mask to get just the rotated tiles, then rotate this layer 45 degrees and use that layer routed directly to the slices used for the rotated tiles.

It works quite well like that, but the annoying thing is that you need extra height in your comp to allow for the rotation. Usually on pixelmaps like this, you don't have the performance headroom to make your comp that much bigger.

One thing that comes to mind is that since the rotated tiles are lower res LED than the iMag and the U, you could get away with scaling the rotated layer down and just making its input slices smaller. That way you do the scaling in the layer instead of the slice, and you should still get a perspective correct image.

It's far from perfect, because 2 extra layers are a big hit on comps like this. But it's still doable :/