Warp w/ 360 Projection in R5

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Warp w/ 360 Projection in R5

Post by Wasko »

I'm at gig right now and have recently purchased the new Resolume 5. We are doing a 360 projection, and I am not seeing a warp function like there was in Resolume 4 - where video past the edge of one side of the composition comes out on the other end for a full panoramic output. I absolutely need this function - does it exist in Resolume 5 or was it taken out? Am I missing something?

One of the main factors of me buying the new Resolume was the fact that this had been an issue for me in past versions - I'm a bit confused as to why this feature isn't apparent.

This is extremely time sensitive because this mapping has to be finished today.

Thanks !

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Warp w/ 360 Projection in R5

Post by Zoltán »

it's there.
it's called soft edge.
select a slice, then you'll find it on the right side, of the advanced output setup.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Wasko »

I've blended all my slices with the soft edge. My problem was that in Resolume 4, there used to be a function called "warp" with a check box.

I've found that I can just expand my input selection beyond the video on their side and it will cross over to the opposite side (for 360 projections). It is automatic, and the "warp" check box has been removed.

My problem is now that it is generating a black line at the point where the video ends on their side (where it loops around to be the opposite side). It doesn't blend at either side of the composition, just in the centers in the middle of clips. What about when you need to blend the far left side with the far right for a 360 projection?

Resolume just doesn't seem to be made for 360 panoramic projection domes.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

move the left input slice slightly out of the composition canvas to the left, then the right to the right, you should see them blend on those sides.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You mean wrap and unless I'm missing something, the wrap function in R4 didn't give you soft edge for a 360˚ installation, it just gave you a straight line where the opposite sides met, correct?

If you start your 360˚ mapping in the middle of a projector and your image is a full 360˚ image (so the left side of the image is a continuation of the right side) you should be able to create 2 half slices in one screen located on opposite sides of the comp and swap them on the projector so that the left slice is on the right side and the right slice on the left side. Since your image is endless, the two slices can meet in the middle of the projector and two sides are blended and easily adjustable.

So for instance if your projectors are 1280x720, you'd create two 640x720 slices and position them on the opposite side of the input selection then swap them in the output transformation. Take a look at this video and let me know if this makes sense (I used the test pattern but let's assume the image is 360!):

phpBB [video]

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Oaktown wrote:You mean wrap and unless I'm missing something, the wrap function in R4 didn't give you soft edge for a 360˚ installation, it just gave you a straight line where the opposite sides met, correct?
the input slices do the wrapping the output shows the blend :)
360˚ installation was possible in R4 too, with the wrap enabled the slice could be dragged outside of the input canvas, in R5 this is automatic.

this video is with two slices in R5, but shows what I mean.
phpBB [video]

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Ravensc, I can see now that the wrap function not only works but it's automatic which is great! Here is what I would get in Arena 4:

phpBB [video]

whereas here is what I get in Arena 5:

phpBB [video]

As a side note, going back to the Arena 4 advanced output feels like taking a huge step back in workflow. It's amazing how fluid the UI is in the Arena 5 advanced output!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

try R4 with 3 slices, that works as good as R5.
you couldn't do 360 with 2 projectors anyway.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Copy that! Tried with 3 screens and it does work as expected.

Thank you Ravensc.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I have too much time....

phpBB [video]