Arena 5.0 no DMX output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
GuruMeditation
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Arena 5.0 no DMX output

Post by GuruMeditation »

ravensc wrote:
GuruMeditation wrote: Thanks, I think it should be useful to have this kind of setup available
And then broadcast can also overload the network, so it should be nice to have more diffusion choices.
The maximum amount artnet data resolume can send now consumes about 28MegaBits/second.
That is for 256 universes (16 universes * 16 subnets ), 131072 channels total.
The refreshrate should be around 25 Hz.
Yeah that is in theory, but in reality you know it is very different.
And if you are working over wifi as I do, the limits are even lower, especially with broadcast.
In fact I have to work on a project that requires 40 universes over wifi soon. So I just want to be sure that Arena is able to manage it.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

GuruMeditation wrote: Yeah that is in theory, but in reality you know it is very different.
And if you are working over wifi as I do, the limits are even lower, especially with broadcast.
In fact I have to work on a project that requires 40 universes over wifi soon. So I just want to be sure that Arena is able to manage it.
I measured that actually.

My wifi router which is a Tplink 1043nd with DD-WRT fw, crashes its wifi adatpter with about 65 artnet outputs.
around 7Megabits.
The speed is not the problem. I have a speedtest.net benchmark of 60/40 MBits/sec over the same connection.

Arena won't be the bottleneck with wifi.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

dandaka
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by dandaka »

Resolume is a little greedy when creating an Artnet port. This means that when creating an output, the IP of that computer can no longer be used for inputs in other apps or even Arena itself.
This is quite strange way to deal with Artnet. This approach is not allowing to convert ArtNet → OLA → DMX on one machine. I think it is a frequent scenario and nice option to have.

Why other software could be used in this scenario? Can you make it work one day?

For example, I have simple Node.js script, that opens Artnet connection, send a packet and shuts down. It works perfectly with OLA on my machine. I have to specify IP address of Artnet client and that's it.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is quite strange way to deal with Artnet.
It may be strange, it is completely according to how the ArtNet protocol says that things should be done. They specifically state that a receiver should never be a broadcaster and vice versa.

The ArtNet and DMX spec are incredibly old and outdated. So in the meantime, everyone that uses it has hacked their way around the specification to make it work with workflows that people expect nowadays.

Hacking your way around a specification is not good practice and we don't like doing it. Since it is so common to have it as an option, we're going to have to sit down and see if we can implement this hack somehow as well.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Joris wrote:Artnet output in Resolume is broadcast. So there is no need to set up a specific IP and port like in unicast. It just sends data to all IPs, and whoever wants to listen picks it up.
Resolume is a little greedy when creating an Artnet port. This means that when creating an output, the IP of that computer can no longer be used for inputs in other apps or even Arena itself.
This is quite strange way to deal with Artnet.
It may be strange, it is completely according to how the ArtNet protocol says that things should be done. They specifically state that a receiver should never be a broadcaster and vice versa.
Which artnet version is implemented in resolume? v2 right?
Because in v3 and v2 a controller can-and should receive artnet data, so it can handle subscribers. so sending and receiving on the same port should be possible for resolume.
The available universe count is much higher in v3, so upping the limit of the usable universes should not be a problem I think.
dandaka wrote: Why other software could be used in this scenario? Can you make it work one day?
For example, I have simple Node.js script, that opens Artnet connection, send a packet and shuts down. It works perfectly with OLA on my machine. I have to specify IP address of Artnet client and that's it.
Having multiple (broadcaster) controllers on the same IP address will cause the receiver node to use the last packet from the same originating IP instead of merging. In theory you could send conflicting data to nodes.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

ravensc wrote:Which artnet version is implemented in resolume? v2 right?
Since Resolume is not using the Net Switch, I would think they are using V2 in 8 bit mode (2^8) with 256 Universes

The Net Switch is what make Artnet 3 able to address 32,768 since it adds 7 bits (Bits 8-14) to the Node and gives Artnet 3 2^7=128 Nets which combined with the first 8 bits. Bits 0-3 being the Universe (2^4=16 universes per Subnet) and Bits 4-7 being the Subnet (2^4=16 Subnets per Net) for a total of 256 Universes per Net. So when you implement Artnet 3 you add 127 Nets and 32,512 Universes.
  • The high byte is called the 'Net'. This was introduced at Art-Net 3 and was previously zero. The Net has a single value for each node. The high nibble of the low byte is referred to as the Sub-Net address and is set to a single value for each Node. The low nibble of the low byte is used to define the individual DMX512 Universe within the Node

grivvr
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by grivvr »

ravensc wrote:How does resolume decide which NIC it will use for the artnet output?
Yes. This. It would be great to able to choose which network interface or use all of them :)

I have an ethernet connection to a wifi router which all my Artnet clients connect to. If I turn the wifi on on my MBP and connect to a different wifi network, then Arena doesn't see the nodes.

The current workaround is to disable my MBP wifi and open Arena. Then enable MBP wifi.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

grivvr wrote:I have an ethernet connection to a wifi router which all my Artnet clients connect to. If I turn the wifi on on my MBP and connect to a different wifi network, then Arena doesn't see the nodes.
The current workaround is to disable my MBP wifi and open Arena. Then enable MBP wifi.
I have done some testing.
I think you have the wireless device as default route in your networks settings, and the wireless network you joined has the same IP subnet/range as your wired connection, so even if you would set an ip address to unicast, the packet would try to go to the default route.
The solution for this is to change your routing table to have your wired interface with higher priority.
if you are on mac, then you can do this in network settings, click on the settings icon below the interface list and select the "set service order", then reorder your devices by dragging them.
In windows, a lower route metric means higher priority, so you want your wired connection have a higher priority.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.43.56.png

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Great little tool I use for Artnet:
http://www.lightjams.com/artnetominator/